Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"A Software Update Is Required To Connect iPhone"

Plugged in iPhone and got this message. Only options are "cancel" or "install".

Here's my issue: It doesn't tell me what I'm installing. Is it an update for the phone? Is it an update for the computer? Zero information. I'm running High Sierra and 13.5.1 iOS. I don't want "install" to automatically start installing Catalina. I've checked multiple sources and High Sierra does support iOS 13. So, again: What am I downloading? Will pressing "install" automatically start downloading something, or will I be able to cancel it if it's something I don't want?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 7:21 AM

nick12202,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information around what version of iTunes is being used.

If you're seeing iTunes version 12.8.2.3 then you're on the right track as this is the latest version available for macOS High Sierra. The update would install a framework which is invisible to the user side of macOS and it would not change iTunes or the underlying operating system.

You can always reach out to Apple Support if you need further assistance, below is a resource to get started with Apple Support:

Get Support - Apple

Have a great day!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 7:21 AM in response to nick12202

nick12202,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information around what version of iTunes is being used.

If you're seeing iTunes version 12.8.2.3 then you're on the right track as this is the latest version available for macOS High Sierra. The update would install a framework which is invisible to the user side of macOS and it would not change iTunes or the underlying operating system.

You can always reach out to Apple Support if you need further assistance, below is a resource to get started with Apple Support:

Get Support - Apple

Have a great day!

Jun 16, 2020 10:43 AM in response to nick12202

Hi there nick12202,

It sounds as though you're seeing a software update message when plugging your iPhone into your Mac. You're in the right place to seek a solution and, I'd be happy to assist.

This update would install a framework which is invisible to the user side of macOS. This update won't change iTunes or the underlying operating system aside from allowing new iOS versions and devices to be recognized.

In case this update is not successful, this resource below can be used to reinstall iTunes:

Download iTunes 12.8.2 for Mac

Have a great day!

Jun 16, 2020 7:29 PM in response to rose_10

I just checked my iTunes and I'm running 12.8.2.3

Still a bit nervous about hitting that "Install" button without any idea of what I'm installing. "Download" and "Install" are 2 very different things. I feel that by hitting a button that says "Install" it will begin the installing process immediately. This is not acceptable if the customer is not told what they are installing.

Jul 21, 2020 10:22 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Teddy_B, I'm having the same problem and am reluctant to click "Install," not really knowing what I'm installing. I was worried I wouldn't be able to use the new iPhone SE without updating the operating system, but it sounds like it's just a little update, that won't change iTunes or the OS?

I have a 2013 iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.6, and iTunes 12.8.2.3. I can't afford a new computer at the moment, but don't want to update the OS yet, because I need to be able to use Adobe InDesign CS6 right now, which I paid for years ago. I got a new iPhone SE, but when I plugged it in, got the same message as nick12202 did. I looked up the system requirements for the new SE combined with iTunes, which are El Capitan 10.11.6 to Mojave 10.14.6 and iTunes 12.8 or later.

So the new SE should work with the OS and iTunes versions I'm using, without having to update either, right? I currently have a 2017 iPhone SE running 11.4.1, which seems to work fine with all of this (though I've been having some trouble lately with playlists not syncing between iTunes and Apple Music on my phone).

"A Software Update Is Required To Connect iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.