Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Malwarebytes on my Mac. Is it responding to Apple's notice of changing its legacy system extensions?

I have Malwarebytes on my Mac. Is M responding to Apple's notice of changing Apple's legacy system extension or is there another anti-viral program that Apple would recommend to replace it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 9:13 AM

I am not sure what your question is, but here is what I can offer. Malwarebytes is a completely safe app to have installed . It only looks for malware, not viruses. It only runs when you turn it on. It does not operate in the background. It is not recommended by Apple. So far as I know, Apple never recommends third party software. If it is sold in the Apple store, that means the software is "approved", having met the requirements Apple has set.

You asked "is there another anti-viral program that Apple would recommend". No, and no, and no. Do not under any circumstances install any such programs. They can, and do, cause many problems, including seriously slowing down your computer. They are not needed since the way that Apple constructs its OS, there is no way it can be infected with a virus. The Apple OS is read only and can not be changed or infected. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2020 9:13 AM in response to SBretsen

I am not sure what your question is, but here is what I can offer. Malwarebytes is a completely safe app to have installed . It only looks for malware, not viruses. It only runs when you turn it on. It does not operate in the background. It is not recommended by Apple. So far as I know, Apple never recommends third party software. If it is sold in the Apple store, that means the software is "approved", having met the requirements Apple has set.

You asked "is there another anti-viral program that Apple would recommend". No, and no, and no. Do not under any circumstances install any such programs. They can, and do, cause many problems, including seriously slowing down your computer. They are not needed since the way that Apple constructs its OS, there is no way it can be infected with a virus. The Apple OS is read only and can not be changed or infected. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

I have Malwarebytes on my Mac. Is it responding to Apple's notice of changing its legacy system extensions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.