Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am interested in adding another monitor to my new iMac, What Should I look at ?

What works well as a second monitor to add to my IMac 27 ?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 2:05 PM

I purchased a display this past winter after looking and researching for several months. I can’t tell you what the best display is - that’s sorta like saying MacDonalds has the best fries. If I said this I’d get lots of agreement - and lots of disagreement - because there’s a massive amount of personal taste involved. But I can tell you to specifically look and decide on a few things.

• How much room do you have on your desk and what resolution(s) do you want?
    • Be aware that the physical size of the display doesn’t always indicate a large (or small) resolution so pay very close attention to this
    • Also note that a very high resolution display that is physically small may, at the highest resolution setting, result in very tiny text. Conversely, a large display with a lower maximum resolution will have larger text. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
    • If you are looking at ultra-wide displays make sure your iMac supports the one(s) the display has.
  • Pay attention to what ports it supports. Your computer will support HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 but of us have discovered HDMI to be iffy with some displays.
  • If your display has internal speakers do they require a specific port?

Finally, the one factor I didn’t consider which wound up costing me an extra $35 and turned out to be money well spent. Everything about the display I purchased (I chose a 30” LG) was exactly what I wanted but the base was awful! Just moving the mouse across my desk would set the display wobbling. I wound up buying a VESA base for it. I say it was money well spent because unlike the cheap plastic abomination LG shipped with the display, this base tilts, pivots, raises and lowers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2020 2:05 PM in response to blessingone

I purchased a display this past winter after looking and researching for several months. I can’t tell you what the best display is - that’s sorta like saying MacDonalds has the best fries. If I said this I’d get lots of agreement - and lots of disagreement - because there’s a massive amount of personal taste involved. But I can tell you to specifically look and decide on a few things.

• How much room do you have on your desk and what resolution(s) do you want?
    • Be aware that the physical size of the display doesn’t always indicate a large (or small) resolution so pay very close attention to this
    • Also note that a very high resolution display that is physically small may, at the highest resolution setting, result in very tiny text. Conversely, a large display with a lower maximum resolution will have larger text. There are advantages and disadvantages to each
    • If you are looking at ultra-wide displays make sure your iMac supports the one(s) the display has.
  • Pay attention to what ports it supports. Your computer will support HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 but of us have discovered HDMI to be iffy with some displays.
  • If your display has internal speakers do they require a specific port?

Finally, the one factor I didn’t consider which wound up costing me an extra $35 and turned out to be money well spent. Everything about the display I purchased (I chose a 30” LG) was exactly what I wanted but the base was awful! Just moving the mouse across my desk would set the display wobbling. I wound up buying a VESA base for it. I say it was money well spent because unlike the cheap plastic abomination LG shipped with the display, this base tilts, pivots, raises and lowers.

I am interested in adding another monitor to my new iMac, What Should I look at ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.