Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t receive messages off data

Unless I turn on my cellular data, I do not get text messages (my WiFi is on). This is mainly from people who have Androids because it works with people who have IPhones. My SMS is on and I turned it off and on.

People can receive iMessages to and reply from my phone number and email.

I can start new messages from my phone number.

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:46 AM

Hello Vampy383,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to receive text messages from users that do not have an iOS device.

It's important to stay in touch with friends and family by receiving your text messages. I'll be happy to help.

In order to receive or send SMS messages on your iPhone, you need to have a cellular network connection turned on. This is a feature that is supported by your wireless provider. That information is outlined in this article: About iMessage and SMS/MMS

However; you can use Wi-Fi Calling to send SMS messages over Wi-Fi: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 6:46 AM in response to Vampy383

Hello Vampy383,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to receive text messages from users that do not have an iOS device.

It's important to stay in touch with friends and family by receiving your text messages. I'll be happy to help.

In order to receive or send SMS messages on your iPhone, you need to have a cellular network connection turned on. This is a feature that is supported by your wireless provider. That information is outlined in this article: About iMessage and SMS/MMS

However; you can use Wi-Fi Calling to send SMS messages over Wi-Fi: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Kind regards.

Jun 22, 2020 1:50 PM in response to Vampy383

Vampy383,

Thanks for getting back to us.

In reference to your question, that is correct. You'll want to have the cellular data turned on, to receive and send SMS/MMS messages. In step two of this article, where it says, "Try these steps first": If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch You can turn on Wi-Fi Calling to send SMS messages over Wi-Fi.

Cheers.

Can’t receive messages off data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.