Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple replace swollen batteries?

The battery of my MacBook Pro 2015 15' is swollen. The trackpad won't click anymore. The battery has around 400 cycles. I found a lot of people with the same issue on Google. It seems to me to be a manufacturing issue than what would naturally occur. Laptops of other brands don't seem to have the same issue. I went to the Apple Store and got a quote of 200 euros to replace the battery. My laptop is not one of the recalled ones manufactured between October 2016 and October 2017. But I still suspect a malfunction caused gas to build up over time and that led to the battery to swell. I don't think I should pay for the replacement.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 9:52 PM

serena_li wrote:

The battery of my MacBook Pro 2015 15' is swollen. The trackpad won't click anymore. The battery has around 400 cycles. I found a lot of people with the same issue on Google. It seems to me to be a manufacturing issue than what would naturally occur. Laptops of other brands don't seem to have the same issue. I went to the Apple Store and got a quote of 200 euros to replace the battery. My laptop is not one of the recalled ones manufactured between October 2016 and October 2017. But I still suspect a malfunction caused gas to build up over time and that led to the battery to swell. I don't think I should pay for the replacement.

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program- September 2015 and February 2017

https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2020 9:52 PM in response to serena_li

serena_li wrote:

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program- September 2015 and February 2017

Jun 14, 2020 1:34 PM in response to serena_li

Yes a malfunction has gas to build up in the battery. However, a swollen battery is not the same thing as the fire safety issue mentioned in the Battery Recall. Apple has other free battery repair programs (some publicly acknowledged, others are not) to address issues with swollen batteries, but those programs only cover a laptop up to three years from purchase. If you look at the details for the Recall and the program for a swollen battery Apple distinctly mentions the fire safety issue in the Recall notice. Apple doesn't consider a swollen battery a safety issue. The exact reason for the failures of each issue are completely different especially in severity.

Compare the relevant sections:

Battery Recall:

Apple has determined that, in a limited number of older generation 15-inch MacBook Pro units, the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk

Swollen Battery Program:

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Apple has determined that, in a limited number of 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) units, a component may fail causing the built-in battery to expand. This is not a safety issue and Apple will replace eligible batteries, free of charge.

Note: Emphasis added by me.

Does Apple replace swollen batteries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.