Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large attachments in messages will not delete

large attachments in messages will not delete under "iPhone storage", trying to free up space

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 8:22 AM

Hi there, judithfrompeyton.

I see that you're having a problem deleting large attachments in the Messages application on your iPhone, and I'm glad to help with this.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Review Large Attachments. Select "Edit" in the upper-right corner of the display, then tap the attachments you wish to delete, then tap the "Trash" icon in the upper-right corner to delete the attachments from your phone.

Restart your iPhone -- If you're still unable to delete large attachments using those steps, restart your iPhone and see if they can be deleted now.

If you're still unable to delete attachments in this manner, please answer the following questions:

Which model of iPhone are you using, and which iOS is it currently on?

What happens when you try to delete an attachment? If you receive a message, please include the full text.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 8:22 AM in response to judithfrompeyton

Hi there, judithfrompeyton.

I see that you're having a problem deleting large attachments in the Messages application on your iPhone, and I'm glad to help with this.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Review Large Attachments. Select "Edit" in the upper-right corner of the display, then tap the attachments you wish to delete, then tap the "Trash" icon in the upper-right corner to delete the attachments from your phone.

Restart your iPhone -- If you're still unable to delete large attachments using those steps, restart your iPhone and see if they can be deleted now.

If you're still unable to delete attachments in this manner, please answer the following questions:

Which model of iPhone are you using, and which iOS is it currently on?

What happens when you try to delete an attachment? If you receive a message, please include the full text.

Take care.

Jun 17, 2020 3:48 PM in response to Teddy_B

Jameson-_H, Thank you thank you thank you!

It worked like a bomb.

I didn’t know I had to restart my phone.

I must have repeated the process five or six times and nothing was gone.

Restarting the phone was the solution.

Who would have thought. Everything else deletes without this necessity.

Thank you for answering and taking the time to explain.

Large attachments in messages will not delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.