Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage full, unable to delete photos, phone glitching

Hello! My XR storage is full, but my phone will not allow me to delete photos. I have deleted almost all of my apps, still full. When I try to delete photos it will either let me delete them, then they will just reappear, or nothing will happen when I tap the trash bin icon. I got more icloud storage and uploaded it there then deleted them on icloud on my computer and still no luck, still there. Has anyone else had and solved this issue? My phone is hardly working because of this! It has even locked me out of imessage and won't let me reactivate imessage I just get an error message :(

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 3:41 PM

Hello jmps1234,

It sounds like you've been unable to delete some of your photos from your iPhone, and you're also unable to activate iMessage. We'd like to try and help you get this resolved.

Were and of those photos originally synced to your iPhone from iTunes? If so, you'll need to use iTunes to remove them from your iPhone. You can view steps on how to do this in the "Turn off iTunes syncing" section here: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices.

If they weren't synced from iCloud, try deleting those photos again, and then remove them from the Recently Deleted album as well:

"Delete photos permanently 

If you want to permanently delete your photos or videos within 30 days, you can remove them from the Recently Deleted album. When you delete a photo from this album, you can't get it back.

1. Open the Photos app and go to the Albums tab.
  2. Open the Recently Deleted album and tap Select.
  3. Tap each photo or video that you want to permanently delete.
  4. Tap Delete and confirm that you want to delete the photos."

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

After that, restart your iPhone and see if the photos have now been erased. Here are steps to help with the issue you're experiencing with iMessage: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 3:41 PM in response to jmps1234

Hello jmps1234,

It sounds like you've been unable to delete some of your photos from your iPhone, and you're also unable to activate iMessage. We'd like to try and help you get this resolved.

Were and of those photos originally synced to your iPhone from iTunes? If so, you'll need to use iTunes to remove them from your iPhone. You can view steps on how to do this in the "Turn off iTunes syncing" section here: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices.

If they weren't synced from iCloud, try deleting those photos again, and then remove them from the Recently Deleted album as well:

"Delete photos permanently 

If you want to permanently delete your photos or videos within 30 days, you can remove them from the Recently Deleted album. When you delete a photo from this album, you can't get it back.

1. Open the Photos app and go to the Albums tab.
  2. Open the Recently Deleted album and tap Select.
  3. Tap each photo or video that you want to permanently delete.
  4. Tap Delete and confirm that you want to delete the photos."

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

After that, restart your iPhone and see if the photos have now been erased. Here are steps to help with the issue you're experiencing with iMessage: If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Storage full, unable to delete photos, phone glitching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.