Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change AppleID to a new email address

My girlfriend has changed her email provider and therefore she has to change her Apple ID to the new (icloud.com) email address. Up until a few days ago, this web page included a section that said it is first necessary to logout of iCloud on all devices (like iPhone, iPad, macbook, apple tv), which made sense to me, but now this section has been removed.

Is it really no longer necessary? What happens to all those devices which are currently logged in?

In the german language version of this web page, this section is still there. Confusing!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 7:39 AM

OK we got the problem solved after contacting Apple Support by phone - solution as follows:

• We did NOT have to sign out anywhere
  • Went to appleid.apple.com and changed the appleID. Then deleted the old email address from the alias list.
  • iphone (latest ios) was automatically updated to the new appleID
  • apple tv (new) was automatically updated to the new appleID
  • ipad (with ios 10.3.3) we had to sign out and sign in with the new appleID
  • macbook (10.12.6) we had to sign out, but on recommendation from Apple Support, we did NOT make any local data copy (because we were going to immediately sign back in again). Then signed back in again. Then on macbook.icloud also sign out/signin. All OK.

All went very smoothly and we're happy to get this done successfully

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 7:39 AM in response to Eric Root

OK we got the problem solved after contacting Apple Support by phone - solution as follows:

• We did NOT have to sign out anywhere
  • Went to appleid.apple.com and changed the appleID. Then deleted the old email address from the alias list.
  • iphone (latest ios) was automatically updated to the new appleID
  • apple tv (new) was automatically updated to the new appleID
  • ipad (with ios 10.3.3) we had to sign out and sign in with the new appleID
  • macbook (10.12.6) we had to sign out, but on recommendation from Apple Support, we did NOT make any local data copy (because we were going to immediately sign back in again). Then signed back in again. Then on macbook.icloud also sign out/signin. All OK.

All went very smoothly and we're happy to get this done successfully

Jun 14, 2020 3:32 AM in response to PeteBackTees

Below is some basic information on changing your Apple ID. But read the whole document linked below. And you will need to go to your Apple ID account (appleid.apple.com) for additional information. The instruction you were talking about have changed.

See Change your Apple ID https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

See the basic information below from the current document.

1.   Sign out of iCloud on all of your devices, including your iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, and PC. If you use the Apple Music app on an Android device or use the Apple TV app a smart TV, sign out of those apps.

2.   Go to appleid.apple.com and sign in.

3.   In the Account section, choose Edit.

4.   Choose Change Apple ID.

You can sign out of iCloud on one of your devices, or you can sign out on all your devices to stop using iCloud (for sign out purposes, see 1 above). Before you sign out of iCloud, make sure that you archive or make copies of the information that you store in iCloud. When you sign out of iCloud, you can't access or use the following services on your devices or your Mac.

And see What to do after you change your Apple ID or password https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071

Jun 14, 2020 5:41 AM in response to donv_the_ghost

Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying that the steps about signing out of iCloud on one or all devices ARE actually still necessary.

Why was this section deleted from the Apple web page?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Anyway, let's go ahead from here and assume the Sign-out is necessary.

I find it confusing that you can sign out of either ONE or ALL devices?

What is actually recommended?

It seems that signing out of ALL devices would be "cleaner", but I'm a bit wary of the consequences,

as it states "you can sign out on all your devices to stop using iCloud".

We do NOT want to stop using iCloud.

What are the consequences of NOT signing out of ALL devices, but rather remaining signed in on one or more?

After reading the various web pages (especially https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071) it seems that in this case,

for each such device (which is still signed in with the old, now non-existent Apple-ID - not a problem?),

you have to sign out and then sign back in using the new Apple-ID.

I'm a little wary of here about data stored in ICloud. We don't want to lose data.

Jun 14, 2020 6:33 AM in response to PeteBackTees

I suggest you sign out of everywhere you use your Apple ID, such as iCloud, Messages/FaceTime, the App Store, and other places, before changing your ID or password. I have read numerous posts where people who didn't sign out, couldn't sign out/had problems signing out after making the change.

Normally, all your iCloud data will sync back, although it may take a couple of days or more. You can use the link donv posted to archive your data so you have a backup copy if you are concerned.

Change AppleID to a new email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.