Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a certificate that says not trusted which keeps appearing. What should I do about it?

I have a certificate that says “not trusted” which keeps appearing. What should I do about it? Can I delete it?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 6:43 AM

If the Certificate warning relates to a third-party certificate, that secures communication for either a browser session or email account, then the certificate doesn’t exist on your device. As such, there’s nothing to delete.

The warning concerning an untrusted certificate generally indicates one of two security issues:

1) The service to which you are connecting is incorrectly configured - or their security certificate has expired. Your only action is to alert the service provider - who will hopefully try to resolve the back-end issue that you can otherwise do nothing to fix.

2) Alert you to a security issue, whereby your secure SSL/TLS session has been intercepted and decrypted by a “man in the middle” - potentially indicating an attack on your secure communications. If you are using a Corporate IT network, this alert might be expected where their security policy requires inspection of all network traffic.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Ears on

If the Certificate warning relates to a third-party certificate, that secures communication for either a browser session or email account, then the certificate doesn’t exist on your device. As such, there’s nothing to delete.

The warning concerning an untrusted certificate generally indicates one of two security issues:

1) The service to which you are connecting is incorrectly configured - or their security certificate has expired. Your only action is to alert the service provider - who will hopefully try to resolve the back-end issue that you can otherwise do nothing to fix.

2) Alert you to a security issue, whereby your secure SSL/TLS session has been intercepted and decrypted by a “man in the middle” - potentially indicating an attack on your secure communications. If you are using a Corporate IT network, this alert might be expected where their security policy requires inspection of all network traffic.

I have a certificate that says not trusted which keeps appearing. What should I do about it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.