Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error -36 copying photos library archive

My iMac late 2015 went into a kernel crisis and I am in the process of backing up all my files in an EXTERNAL HD, before rebooting the INTERNAL MacHD from scratch after erasing all my files.

During this process, the External HD is the operating system. So I have been able to recover all my files except the ˝Photo Library˝ that is in the pictures folder in the INTERNAL MacHD.

Both HDs have OsX El Capitan. Version 10.11.6 installed in it (Internal MacHD and ExternalHD)

All the pictures in this ˝Photo Library˝ file are in the INTERNAL MacHD not in the Cloud.

Every time I try to make a copy of ˝Photo Library˝, the finder sends me a message that says:

"The finder can't complete the operation because some data in ˝Photo Library˝ can't be read or written"

I have already tryed every possible solution I've read in this forum, i.e., comand-click the ˝Photo Library˝ icon to see contents in the folder so I would be able to grab the contents one by one and identify wich files are not working. But the system operating in the ExternalHD doesn't give me this possibility. No right click function. I guess the system is operating with the minimum plugins and apps right now.

Tryed to ignore permisions, and still error -36 shows up. Even the chat with the technical support people doesn't present any effective solution.

Is there anybody who could give me some hope to save 80 gigs of personal photos?

We all get instructions on how to copy your ˝Photo Library˝ into an EXTERNAL HD, but the case here is trick because the External HD is the MacOS and the Internal HD is operating as if it is an external drive.

Don't know why iPhotos don't let me import all the files from ˝Photo Library˝.

Definitley No longer using iPhotos or any iSomething.

Any help please?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 1:42 AM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2020 2:18 AM in response to GEAN500

I have already tryed every possible solution I've read in this forum, i.e., comand-click the ˝Photo Library˝ icon to see contents in the folder so I would be able to grab the contents one by one and identify wich files are not working.

You do not need command-click but ctrl-click. Hold down the control-key while clicking the Photo Library in your Pictures folder. Then you should be seeing the command "Show Package Contents" and can try to copy the parts as described here: How to avoid the Error -36 when copying a Photos Library - Apple Community

If you cannot copy the library, even in parts, try cloning software. Carbon Copy Cloner or anther cloning program should be able to clone the Photos Library, even if there are copy errors.

Jun 16, 2020 2:44 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks Léonie

It doesn't work. But what I did try and worked is to double click the ˝Photo Library˝ file in the MacHD that is working as an external drive right now, and the iPhoto application in the ExternalDrive that is running this iMac, launched the file. It read all the content in it, so I have been able to back up the photos manually. Except for some files that has no importance.

Many thanks for your attention

Gean500

error -36 copying photos library archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.