Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator Group deleted in Directory Utility, now not able to open Users&Groups in System Preferences!

I was trying to get admin rights for one of the users, when I unknowingly deleted the "Administrator Groups" record from the Directory Utility. Because of that I'm not able to open Users&Groups in System preferences too, as it freezes every time I try to open it. Please help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 4:57 AM

EgotisticalGiraffe24 Said:

"Administrator Group deleted in Directory Utility, now not able to open Users&Groups in System Preferences!"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important:

Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the reinstallation of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 4:57 AM in response to EgotisticalGiraffe24

EgotisticalGiraffe24 Said:

"Administrator Group deleted in Directory Utility, now not able to open Users&Groups in System Preferences!"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important:

Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the reinstallation of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

Administrator Group deleted in Directory Utility, now not able to open Users&Groups in System Preferences!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.