Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Backup drive disappears

Hello, Problem is: LaCie Backup Drive disappears - a couple hours after waking from Sleep mode, icon for LaCie Drive is gone, with message "LaCie Disc not Ejected Properly", consistently, and not showing in Finder. Reboot iMac, drive shows up fine. New LaCie drive (from Apple Store, installed April 30). I am fairly certain but not 100% sure that this problem started after latest OS X update (10.15.5) on May 26. Have checked cables, tried different USB port on computer, Ran Disk Utility on both iMac and Lacie (strange, first try always says "Error, disk could not be unmounted", then second try no issues). Reset PRAM and SMC, contacted LaCie by email, talked with Apple Tech Support, all in that order. Something else I have noticed: when opening Time Machine, hash marks on right side indicating various iterations of backups are red, don't remember ever seeing that. Any assistance appreciated Thank You, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), LaCie 6TB D2 Professional Desktop Hard Drive.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:00 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 17, 2020 8:59 AM in response to carmine-impact

Carmine, note your "Energy Saver" might look like this (see attached). Also, make sure the icon for your backup drive has the little Time Machine logo on it. I think this issue all starts when first booting up....icon for the backup drive appears, but with plain yellow (no logo) on it. Solve that by opening Time Machine Preferences in System Preferences (or from the Menu Bar top right), and "Select Disk.....", then select the disk.

Jun 17, 2020 9:45 AM in response to carmine-impact

So, it appears your Energy Saver options are identical to mine. Therefore, you can see on mine, I only checked the first box (Prevent computer.....). After reading BDAqua's posting, I stopped manually putting the computer to Sleep, and checked/unchecked Energy Saver boxes as shown, then set the "Turn display off after:: to 25 minutes. (My screen saver set to start after 10 minutes.

Time Machine - Backup drive disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.