You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I store individual iMovie projects on an external hard drive

I'm using a 2019 MacBook Air and the most recent iMovie. I make music videos for my original songs and once complete I'd like to store the projects on an external hard drive in a folder along with the audio files and other information pertinent to each individual song. I'd also like to free up the space on my internal hard drive. I know I can relocate the iMovie library but if the library contains just 1 project, wouldn't it be easier to just relocate the project? Thanks for any advice!

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:44 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 15, 2020 8:28 AM in response to bassdon

Hi, bassdon,

iMovie 10 projects cannot be stored independently of the iMovie library in which they reside. So you cannot transfer them independently to a Finder folder as you would like. To store a project on an eternal drive you must either transfer the library that contains it to the external drive, or create a new library on the external drive and transfer the project to the new library. The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. Mac OS Extended (Jornaled) would be compatible with operating systems previous to Sierra.

If you transfer the library you should first select the library name in the sidebar and do a File/Consolidate Library Media to make sure that all of the media in the library is transferred as well. If you transfer only the project to a new library on the external drive, then you should select the project icon in the project browser view and do a File/Consolidate Project Media before transferring the project -- again to insure that all of the media in the project stays with the project. You must keep everything together to insure that you do not have missing clips in the project.

I'm not sure what you mean by "information pertinent to each individual song". A background song in an iMovie project will show the title and duration of the clip in the timeline or in the browser view if you have View/Skimmer Info checked from the menu bar. To get anything more than title and duration you would need to select the clip and do a File/Reveal in Finder, and then do a Control-click/Get Info of the file from the pop-up Original Media folder.

-- Rich

Jun 15, 2020 11:08 AM in response to bassdon

Since these are your songs I definitely would store them separate from an iMovie library in a Finder folder, backed up to another Finder folder. You don't want to be tangling up your unique recordings solely in an iMovie library. Libraries can become corrupt. Apps can get upgraded or become obsolete. And access to the songs can be awkward.

Not sure how you would document the song info, other than in the title itself, or in an accompanying text document.

-- Rich

How can I store individual iMovie projects on an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.