Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted HD Password Issue

Hello,

Recently I fancied playing some games with some friends so I installed Windows 10 on an external hard drive. All went (sort of ) fine.

So I came to boot up my Mac from the Bootcamp icon at the bottom on the windows screen. Didn’t work.

Load it up in recovery mode, startup disk, you need a password to unlock it. My password isn’t accepted, I go on to try every password I have ever used. I put the encryption on years ago but I used the same password as I always use for that kinda stuff.

How can I restore factory settings/wipe this completely? Am I gonna have to take it to a genius?

Thanks in advance and if more details needed I’m happy to supply.

Josh

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 6:30 AM

Another update: This didn’t fully work, it erased all the settings and has allowed me to create a new boot up Mac disk on a external hard drive.

I still have no access to the internal HDD on the Mac, as I presume it’s still encrypted.

3 replies

Encrypted HD Password Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.