Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro stops charging battery

When an usb c to usb adapter is plugged, battery stops charging.

Battery icon is still black but percentage indicator starts decreasing very fastly.

Every time I have to restart and reset, keeping power button on for 10 seconds.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 1:00 PM

OK. I understand. I believe the problem may be that the external drive is drawing too much power. The charger cannot handle both the computer and the external drive. I've had the same problem with my 2015 MB. You can solve the problem by buying a larger charger, for example, if your MBP has a 60 watt charger, try using Apple's 85 watt charger.

Alternatively, try using an external SSD rather than a HDD or add an external power supply for the external HDD.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 1:00 PM in response to GFC64

OK. I understand. I believe the problem may be that the external drive is drawing too much power. The charger cannot handle both the computer and the external drive. I've had the same problem with my 2015 MB. You can solve the problem by buying a larger charger, for example, if your MBP has a 60 watt charger, try using Apple's 85 watt charger.

Alternatively, try using an external SSD rather than a HDD or add an external power supply for the external HDD.

Macbook pro stops charging battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.