Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot add an AOL account to my Apple Mail.

It continues to say Unable to verify account name or password. This is my MacBook Pro. The AOL account is on my iMac and also on my iPad. I can sign into my email on aol.com with no problem.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 2:56 PM

One possibility is that you have two-step verification on your AOL account, and an older version of macOS. If so, you'll need to either create an app password for Apple Mail or upgrade macOS.

macOS Catalina integrates AOL's login page, which can handle two-step verification. It looks like this:

If you do not see this screen when you go to add your account – and you have two-step verification enabled with AOL – you'll need to either create an app password, or upgrade to a newer version of macOS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 2:56 PM in response to Wendyoned

One possibility is that you have two-step verification on your AOL account, and an older version of macOS. If so, you'll need to either create an app password for Apple Mail or upgrade macOS.

macOS Catalina integrates AOL's login page, which can handle two-step verification. It looks like this:

If you do not see this screen when you go to add your account – and you have two-step verification enabled with AOL – you'll need to either create an app password, or upgrade to a newer version of macOS.

Jun 15, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Wendyoned

You may have to delete the AOL account on the Mac & try again, the freaky thing is that there's no way to edit the say Password on any of the Auto setup Mail accounts, doesn't matter what PW you enter after that, the Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

I cannot add an AOL account to my Apple Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.