Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unchecking song in itunes doesn't skip it

When i uncheck a song by right clicking it greys out the song but itunes does NOT skip it.

What could be wrong?

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 10:50 AM

rickbre wrote:

But look at my original question again. When I uncheck a song it DOES grey it out but it DOESN'T skip it.

Yes, I did read it - and I understood what you said.

I've managed to recreate your scenario - so I now know what is happening. Perhaps you haven't appreciated that there are two separate features available. Let me explain:

1. Unchecking a song (as you have done) - intended to prevent a song from being played in the future (until you check it again). (It has certain other functions too, but let's not muddy the waters at this time)
    2. Removing a song from the Up Next list (what you're trying to do, or test to see if it works. It doesn't!) - intended to prevent the song being played at this particular time, but it will be played in the future

It may be that neither of the above scenarios is what you're trying to achieve, I'm simply explaining what is happening.

So, here's how this works:

Unchecking a song:

If you look at the screenshot below, you can see that the song Family Rap is greyed out (they don't grey out in the Songs View, which is my preferred view, hence the confusion). As a result, the song is not in the Up Next list and so it will not play. After the current song finishes, the song How Do You Really Feel? plays:

However - let's start the album playing with the song Recognize. Once you start something playing, this populates the Up Next list, which in this case will have the tracks numbered 9, 10, 12, 13 & 14 in it. If you uncheck the song Keep On Playin' (track 9) while the playlist is running, it remains in the Up Next list and therefore, it will play.

You can see in the screenshot above, that Keep On Playin' is still in the Up Next list, but Family Rap is not.

I can assure you that after I uncheck the song, if I then restart the song Recognize, the song Keep On Playin' will no longer appear in the Up Next list.

Removing a song from the Up Next list:

To prevent a song from being played once it's already in the Up Next list, you need to open the Up Next (click on the icon) and hover your mouse over the song that you do not want to play (as shown in the screenshot below). This will reveal the remove icon (a white-dash-in-a-red-circle) inside the album art. Tap on the remove icon to remove the song from the Up Next list. You have to tap on the icon itself, tapping anywhere else on that line will not remove the song. See the screenshot below:

How's that, any use?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 10:50 AM in response to rickbre

rickbre wrote:

But look at my original question again. When I uncheck a song it DOES grey it out but it DOESN'T skip it.

Yes, I did read it - and I understood what you said.

I've managed to recreate your scenario - so I now know what is happening. Perhaps you haven't appreciated that there are two separate features available. Let me explain:

1. Unchecking a song (as you have done) - intended to prevent a song from being played in the future (until you check it again). (It has certain other functions too, but let's not muddy the waters at this time)
    2. Removing a song from the Up Next list (what you're trying to do, or test to see if it works. It doesn't!) - intended to prevent the song being played at this particular time, but it will be played in the future

It may be that neither of the above scenarios is what you're trying to achieve, I'm simply explaining what is happening.

So, here's how this works:

Unchecking a song:

If you look at the screenshot below, you can see that the song Family Rap is greyed out (they don't grey out in the Songs View, which is my preferred view, hence the confusion). As a result, the song is not in the Up Next list and so it will not play. After the current song finishes, the song How Do You Really Feel? plays:

However - let's start the album playing with the song Recognize. Once you start something playing, this populates the Up Next list, which in this case will have the tracks numbered 9, 10, 12, 13 & 14 in it. If you uncheck the song Keep On Playin' (track 9) while the playlist is running, it remains in the Up Next list and therefore, it will play.

You can see in the screenshot above, that Keep On Playin' is still in the Up Next list, but Family Rap is not.

I can assure you that after I uncheck the song, if I then restart the song Recognize, the song Keep On Playin' will no longer appear in the Up Next list.

Removing a song from the Up Next list:

To prevent a song from being played once it's already in the Up Next list, you need to open the Up Next (click on the icon) and hover your mouse over the song that you do not want to play (as shown in the screenshot below). This will reveal the remove icon (a white-dash-in-a-red-circle) inside the album art. Tap on the remove icon to remove the song from the Up Next list. You have to tap on the icon itself, tapping anywhere else on that line will not remove the song. See the screenshot below:

How's that, any use?

Jun 16, 2020 12:04 AM in response to rickbre

In iTunes (for get iPods etc. for a minute) unchecking a song will not grey it out, but it will prevent iTunes from playing the song during normal playback. "Normal" playback means when playing any list of songs. Unchecked songs will be skipped. You can play an unchecked song by specifically selecting it; i.e. by double-clicking it.

As far as iPods etc. are concerned, if you have chosen the option (when synchronising your iPod) to Sync only ticked songs and videos, that song will not be added to the iPod by a sync, even if it's in a Playlist to be synced. This option has to be on for the individual portable device for this to work.

If you are looking at the content of your iPod and then try to uncheck the song (on the iPod) that won't work. That's not the way to do it.

If this has not addressed your problem, please post back but with more detail about what you're doing, when you're doing it and most importantly, what you hope to achieve.

unchecking song in itunes doesn't skip it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.