Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Display

Hello kind people...

Simple question about the MacBook Pro mid-2010 running MacOS High Sierra (DO NOT BE CONFUSED BY THE MOJAVE WALLPAPERS!)

I recently bought a 37-inch monitor (sounds crazy?) Anyway, I was able to set up the "dual desktop" (e. g. one Mojave Night wallpaper on the mac, and the Mojave Day on the monitor. (THIS MAC IS HIGH SIERRA!!!!!! FOUND WALLPAPERS ON MY NEWER MAC) BUT... It seems to move the dock to whatever window I am in. like if I go to the Mac screen, i have to take the cursor to the bottom of the screen to access the dock an that screen, and vice versa. anyone have a fix for this? I need the dock on both screens simultaneously.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 8:16 AM

Hello jakob_suehring,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your question that you would like to have your dock on both monitors at the same time. I can certainly help you with this!

Unfortunately this functionality is not available at this time. You can only have the dock on one monitor at a time either on the left, bottom, or right side of the screen.

I hope this is able to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions or this does not resolve your issue, please reach back out on the thread!

Cheers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 8:16 AM in response to jakob_suehring

Hello jakob_suehring,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your question that you would like to have your dock on both monitors at the same time. I can certainly help you with this!

Unfortunately this functionality is not available at this time. You can only have the dock on one monitor at a time either on the left, bottom, or right side of the screen.

I hope this is able to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions or this does not resolve your issue, please reach back out on the thread!

Cheers.

Jun 19, 2020 8:58 AM in response to jakob_suehring

You can set up your displays so that "displays have separate spaces" or so that they are mirrored, or so that they are combined into one "extended desktop".

When "displays have separate spaces", each display is its own little world, and the Dock needs to appear on each display when required.

If using Extended Desktop, each display is a part of a much larger Extended desktop, and the Dock will appear on the leftmost, rightmost or bottommost edge of the Extended Desktop, not the component displays. The Menubar will appear on the Primary display only.

Jun 19, 2020 10:37 AM in response to jakob_suehring

That feature is available today, but it is somewhat convoluted. It has to do with Mission Control and multiple spaces.

You can create different SETS of applications working at the same time using Mission Control, and assign each SET to their own "space". You can then shift back and forth through different spaces using Mission Control.

The additional complexity and possible usefulness comes when you assign different spaces to different displays:

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/os-x-how-to-use-separate-spaces-with-multiple-monitors

External Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.