Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud not backing up messages despite it being turned on at iphone

My iphone is supposed to be backing up my messages and have verified all of the various settings but they do not show up in my icloud backups. Does it place those backups somewhere else in icloud?

Thanks

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:55 AM

Where are you checking to see if the messages were backed up? Messages will not show up individually on your iCloud storage bar but if you go to 'Manage Storage' under iCloud you should see the Message backup and size.

4 replies

Jun 16, 2020 10:02 AM in response to apfelkopf

I recently logged into my online icloud account to pull down some accidentally deleted long term messages (that have been going on for months) and there are various items/icons displayed on the main screen in the online icloud but messages is not one of them. I then went into settings on the iphone and checked the icloud back content and messages is checked and has been checked since the iphone was purchased more than a year ago but for whatever reason my messages are not being backed up unless that content is being dropped into another online location. My photos have been backed up so they are shown in the online icloud...

Jun 16, 2020 12:27 PM in response to apfelkopf

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the manage icloud storage part of the iphone does show that messages are being backed up but when I go into that detail it just shows really old messages from 6+ months ago and not more recent ones such as the ones that were accidently deleted.....So, I am thinking there is something wrong with the way icloud is backing up the selected items off the iphone and as a result I cannot rely on the icloud backups?

icloud not backing up messages despite it being turned on at iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.