Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I keep my files if I sign out of iCloud on my MacBook but not on my iPad Pro?

I'm logged in to iCloud on my MacBook and my iPad Pro, and I can see all of my files on iCloud on both. If I sign out of iCloud on my MacBook and don't keep a copy of the files, will I lose the files on my iPad too?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 12:21 PM

If iCloud Drive is set up in iPad and Mac , for iPad https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204025

On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud.
  3. Turn on iCloud Drive.

You can find your iCloud Drive files in the Files app

If you're using iOS 10 or iOS 9, tap Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. Turn on iCloud Drive, and tap Show on Home Screen. Then you'll find your files in the iCloud Drive app.

If you sign out Mac and don't click on keep a copy the files will not be saved on Mac but they are still saved on iCloud.com if iCloud Drive and desktops and documents box is turned as on see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

With iCloud Drive, you can safely store all kinds of documents in iCloud, and access them from all your computers and iOS devices. If you like, you can have all the files in your desktop and documents folders stored automatically in iCloud Drive. That way, you can save files right where you usually keep them, and they become available on all your computers and iOS devices.

You can use iCloud Drive on Mac computers (OS X 10.10 or later), iOS devices (iOS 8 or later) and Windows computers with iCloud for Windows (Windows 7 or later required). You must be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on all your computers and devices.

The files will stay on iPad as you didn't signed out Apple ID from it , it doesn't matter you sign out Mac ( even you forgot to click on keep a copy ) , the data is saved on iCloud server / synced from iPad with the help of iCloud drive turned in it and saved the data in the Files app

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 12:21 PM in response to ChampagnePanda

If iCloud Drive is set up in iPad and Mac , for iPad https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204025

On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud.
  3. Turn on iCloud Drive.

You can find your iCloud Drive files in the Files app

If you're using iOS 10 or iOS 9, tap Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. Turn on iCloud Drive, and tap Show on Home Screen. Then you'll find your files in the iCloud Drive app.

If you sign out Mac and don't click on keep a copy the files will not be saved on Mac but they are still saved on iCloud.com if iCloud Drive and desktops and documents box is turned as on see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

With iCloud Drive, you can safely store all kinds of documents in iCloud, and access them from all your computers and iOS devices. If you like, you can have all the files in your desktop and documents folders stored automatically in iCloud Drive. That way, you can save files right where you usually keep them, and they become available on all your computers and iOS devices.

You can use iCloud Drive on Mac computers (OS X 10.10 or later), iOS devices (iOS 8 or later) and Windows computers with iCloud for Windows (Windows 7 or later required). You must be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on all your computers and devices.

The files will stay on iPad as you didn't signed out Apple ID from it , it doesn't matter you sign out Mac ( even you forgot to click on keep a copy ) , the data is saved on iCloud server / synced from iPad with the help of iCloud drive turned in it and saved the data in the Files app

Jun 19, 2020 11:14 AM in response to ChampagnePanda

Hello ChampagnePanda,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you would like to know if you sign out of iCloud on your Mac and don't keep a copy of the files if you will lose the files on your iPad as well. This article will provide you with information on what happens when you sign out of iCloud on one of your devices:

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac - Apple Support

"If you sign out of iCloud and you don't keep a copy of your data on your device or your Mac, you can't access that data on your device or your Mac until you sign in to iCloud again."

Best Regards.

Will I keep my files if I sign out of iCloud on my MacBook but not on my iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.