Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 10.5.1 All Plugins and Virtual Instruments Defaulting to Controls View

Just updated to 10.5.1 and all plugins and virtual instruments (Apple or third-party) are opening in "controls" view (that's the generic sliders/no GUI view). It gave me a message asking if I wanted to view this way, but there didn't appear to be a way to say no. I found the pref to disable controls view (Preferences>Display>Mixer, then uncheck "Open In Controls View"), but it doesn't work.

The upshot is that all plugs open in "controls" view and I have to manually switch them to standard not-1991 GUI view. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 11:44 AM

If anyone's still watching this thread... I finally figured it out, it was My Own Darn Fault™. :)

The problem was that I installed a system utility called BetterTouchTool - it lets you do all kinds of custom configuring for input devices (I actually installed it to inhibit Magic Mouse scrolling when the mouse button is down, because the scrolling drives me nuts when I'm trying to move things in the arrange or piano roll windows). I ended up calling Apple a couple of times, and though they didn't exactly figure it out (not that they should have; they didn't know about the extension), they were very helpful and patient, and didn't charge me.

Anyhow, I believe the root of the issue was that BetterTouchTool was confusing/overriding my system Accessibility prefs, making it think that I wanted the computer to be able to speak to me. As a result, it forced the plugs to stay in controls view so that all controls would have text that it could identity and speak (fancy plug-in GUI's are just a graphic with words imbedded in the artwork, so they're not decipherable if you wanted the computer to speak to you).

Once I disabled BetterTouchTool, plug-in views went back to normal (and oddly, I could re-enable it, and everything worked after that). What was very helpful in diagnosing it was that Apple support had me try Logic with a test user (System Preferences\Users and Groups\ create a test user, switch to this user, etc.) and it worked fine, because BetterTouchTool wasn't enabled for the test user.

Similar questions

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 11:44 AM in response to celebutante

If anyone's still watching this thread... I finally figured it out, it was My Own Darn Fault™. :)

The problem was that I installed a system utility called BetterTouchTool - it lets you do all kinds of custom configuring for input devices (I actually installed it to inhibit Magic Mouse scrolling when the mouse button is down, because the scrolling drives me nuts when I'm trying to move things in the arrange or piano roll windows). I ended up calling Apple a couple of times, and though they didn't exactly figure it out (not that they should have; they didn't know about the extension), they were very helpful and patient, and didn't charge me.

Anyhow, I believe the root of the issue was that BetterTouchTool was confusing/overriding my system Accessibility prefs, making it think that I wanted the computer to be able to speak to me. As a result, it forced the plugs to stay in controls view so that all controls would have text that it could identity and speak (fancy plug-in GUI's are just a graphic with words imbedded in the artwork, so they're not decipherable if you wanted the computer to speak to you).

Once I disabled BetterTouchTool, plug-in views went back to normal (and oddly, I could re-enable it, and everything worked after that). What was very helpful in diagnosing it was that Apple support had me try Logic with a test user (System Preferences\Users and Groups\ create a test user, switch to this user, etc.) and it worked fine, because BetterTouchTool wasn't enabled for the test user.

Jun 24, 2020 3:30 PM in response to celebutante

I deleted "com.apple.logic10.plist" file and restarted my Mac and it didn't fix it. When I open a plugin, I get this dialog. 

• If I click cancel, the plug opens in GUI mode as it should, but this dialog opens every time I try to open a plugin (clicking “Do Not Show…” doesn’t make a difference).

• If I click OK, it enables the Pref>Disp>Mixer “Open In Controls View” pref, and plugs open in control view. If I disable the the pref, it turns itself back on as soon as I exit the window - all plugs still open in controls view, and if I go back into the Pref>Disp>Mixer window, it’s enabled again. Grrr.  

At this point, it’s looking like the only fix would be to go back to Logic 10.5.0, but I didn’t save that version, b/c I (foolishly) didn’t expect a minor bugfix update to create a new issue.

Jun 22, 2020 5:21 AM in response to musicandmacs

I'm not sure why you're seeing so many .plist files. I only have one.

Go to User > Library > Preferences > com.apple.logic10.plist.

You can just drag this to your desktop and re-launch LPX. Then go into your LPX mixer preferences and make sure to disable "Open in controls view," quit and relaunch.

If this doesn't resolve it, I would try repeating the process but rebooting the computer before launching LPX.

Jun 22, 2020 8:26 AM in response to Guitartist

You are incredibly patient!! and a genius!!!! I really thought I was searching my whole drive. You are right. I wasn't. I found the file by using Finder>Go>/Users/Library/Preferences while holding down the Option key. I now see com.apple.logic10.plist.

I shutdown Logic and moved the file to the desktop and then re-launched Logic. Yes!!! I am now getting the 3rd party plugin GUI and the Sampler option is showing in the instrument slot. This was not happening until I followed your ideas for deleting the plist. I just purchased a new product called Loop Elements that was built for for LPX 10.5 and it wasn't working. Now it is!!.

I have one concern. Where was a the LPX mixer preferences "Open in controls view" located? I don't see it anymore. When I go into LPX preferences it now looks different!

Jul 18, 2020 11:57 AM in response to musicandmacs

I'm still in Mojave, so good to know that I may not be able to use BTT when I finally give in and update to Catalina/Big Sur/Fresno/Inglewood, whatever it is by then. :P I'm not convinced this is specifically a Logic 10.5.1 issue, it just happened to coincide with when I updated. I should've known better - when something doesn't work right, ALWAYS ask, "what have I recently changed?"

For the record, while I had Apple on the phone, I did rattle them about inhibiting screen scrolling with finger on Magic Mouse when the mouse button is down. I always feel like the screen is "running away" from me when I'm moving stuff as result, and I can't believe they haven't built this into the system Magic Mouse control api. (This is why I was using BTT in the first place.)

Logic 10.5.1 All Plugins and Virtual Instruments Defaulting to Controls View

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.