Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple changed my password.

So I got a notification that I changed my passcode for my iPhone 7, and I NEVER did, I went to security settings, typed in my usual 6 digit passcode and I was told it was incorrect, wow. I have checked online and the only option is to wipe my phone which is not backed up?? What to do? I cannot afford to lose my data, I never changed my passcode.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 6:19 PM

Your iCloud (AppleID) Password is not the same thing as your screen lock passcode. If someone knew your AppleID passcode, they may have compromised your AppleID, but not your device itself.

See -> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

If the WhatsApp app is triggering those alerts, it is probably because you have WhatsApp set to backup to iCloud, but your AppleID password has been compromised so WhatsApp can not connect to your iCloud account to backup.

But agin, if your AppleID password for the AppleID you use with iCloud was changed, that was not Apple who did that - it was an account hacker who got into your AppleID. Apple will never message you nor send notifications about your AppleID password.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 6:19 PM in response to ose114

Your iCloud (AppleID) Password is not the same thing as your screen lock passcode. If someone knew your AppleID passcode, they may have compromised your AppleID, but not your device itself.

See -> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

If the WhatsApp app is triggering those alerts, it is probably because you have WhatsApp set to backup to iCloud, but your AppleID password has been compromised so WhatsApp can not connect to your iCloud account to backup.

But agin, if your AppleID password for the AppleID you use with iCloud was changed, that was not Apple who did that - it was an account hacker who got into your AppleID. Apple will never message you nor send notifications about your AppleID password.

Jun 16, 2020 4:41 PM in response to ose114

ose114 Said:

"Apple changed my password. So I got a notification that I changed my passcode for my iPhone 7, and I NEVER did, I went to security settings, typed in my usual 6 digit passcode and I was told it was incorrect, wow."

-------

Secure your Apple ID:

You'd Never get such a message from Apple. So, with security being of concern here, consider:

Jun 16, 2020 4:23 PM in response to ose114

Apple has no mechanism to remotely change anyone’s device screen lock passcode. That can only be done with the device physically in ones possession - there is no other way to set or alter a screen lock passcode. And to change it, the user must know the current passcode before they even can change it.

And if or when anyone changes their screen lock passcode, Apple has no knowledge of that action at all, so could not send any such notification.

Does anyone else have physical access to your device and knows your screen lock passcode?

Apple changed my password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.