Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently found an "ipod photo cache" in my Pictures folder. Can I look at it? Can I delete it safely?

Running MacOS High Sierra on an iMac. I use this computer daily. It synchronises my iPhone X and iPad (recentish). I take photos on the iPhone, but not many on the iPad.

I'm moving from Photos to Adobe Lightroom as I really need more sophisticated photo management stuff these days, so I'm doing a bit of a cleanup of my exported pictures, just to free up as much space as possible.

Found a completely new folder from April 2020 called "iPod Photo Cache". It definitely wasn't there before!

It contains an "Apple TV Photo Database" and "Photo Database", and a bunch of folders which then contain files with the .ithmb extension, dating from June 2020 - ie, this month. June 10, in fact - the June long weekend in Australia, when we had visitors around (we're allowed to now! - it's MOST exciting).

Now, I know this is a backup/sync system for iPods. But no-one here uses iPods any more - that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty confident that if I delete the folder, it'll have no impact on any of my systems.

But now I'm curious, and I'd like to see what's in there before I delete it, if I can.

Photos, Lightroom and Affinity Photo don't recognise the ithmb extension. iTunes does, but nothing happens when I try to open them. Image Capture can't be persuaded to see them. I don't think I've got any other applications that are likely to see them.

Is there anything I can use to see these thumbnails?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:21 AM

The name will be "iPod Photo cache", even if you are syncing an iPhone or iPad with your Mac. If you manually sync any iOS device with the Photos Library this cache will be created. It does not hurt to delete it, but the next sync will take longer, because the cache will have to be recreated when you sync the iPhone or iPad again.

It is only necessary, if you are syncing the iOS devices manually and not with iCloud Photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 6:21 AM in response to bentshed

The name will be "iPod Photo cache", even if you are syncing an iPhone or iPad with your Mac. If you manually sync any iOS device with the Photos Library this cache will be created. It does not hurt to delete it, but the next sync will take longer, because the cache will have to be recreated when you sync the iPhone or iPad again.

It is only necessary, if you are syncing the iOS devices manually and not with iCloud Photos.

Jun 16, 2020 7:36 PM in response to bentshed

OK. Poked around a bit more, found a rather nice little app that did the trick - FileJuicer.

It watermarks the extracted images but that's fine; I'd be happy to pay the $30AUD to have unwatermarked versions if I found I wanted the files. https://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/ithmb

As it happens, they are duplicates of images I already have, so I don't need to import them.

Still not precisely sure where they're from, however. Possibly my partner's iPad, which isn't usually synched to this desktop? Would that create an iPod cache?

Recently found an "ipod photo cache" in my Pictures folder. Can I look at it? Can I delete it safely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.