You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Winmail.dat is killing me, how do i get rid of it from receivers end?

Hello Community,

Is there any way of getting rid of this from the receivers end?

For some reason, it has just started to be a problem for me. It seems ridiculous to have to convert all these attachments.

A friend with a similar set up seems to be getting the same emails with no problem as regular attachments.

I have found lots of info on how to fix the problem from the sender but not the recipient.

Please help & thank you

Yvette

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 2:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 11:54 AM

Hello ymeblue,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you are receiving winmail.dat file attachments. This article has information on what to do if your email contains a winmail.dat attachment which you may find useful:

If your email contains a winmail.dat attachment - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2020 11:54 AM in response to ymeblue

Hello ymeblue,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you are receiving winmail.dat file attachments. This article has information on what to do if your email contains a winmail.dat attachment which you may find useful:

If your email contains a winmail.dat attachment - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Jun 20, 2020 4:45 PM in response to ymeblue

Yvette,

If you’re a Mac user who frequently encounters many emails sent from Windows users with ‘winmail.dat’ attachment files, another approach is to use a free tool called “TNEF’s Enough” (Sound it out, teneffs enuff – creative!). This is probably the best approach if you see and encounter many winmail.dat files on the Mac (whether in Mail or otherwise) and want to always get to the bottom of them quickly.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tnefs-enough/id986621173?ls=1&mt=12

Jun 20, 2020 4:53 PM in response to ymeblue

To answer your direct question:

The sender is sending the messages using a Microsoft-proprietary format.

This is a sender configuration setting, and not a receiver bug.

Somebody’s mail server or somebody’s local client settings are incorrect.

Your friend is in the sending system settings correctly, or is using a Microsoft mail client.

Winmail.dat is killing me, how do i get rid of it from receivers end?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.