Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i5 vs i7 mac mini 2020

Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy the new 2020 Mac mini. Currently paying with spec combinations.

i5 with 512Gb SSD IS 1099 pounds

i7 with 256Gb SSD IS 1099 pounds

RAM can be upgraded at a later date. Which configuration would be a wiser choice?

Context, I am a school teacher using a document scanner (Ipevo) to record instruction and upload to Vimeo. I use Screenflow for screen casting. I don't currently edit video but as I get skilled I will be doing so but not professionally, just for student support videos. I use cloud storage so not sure the SSD is such an issue now that the base spec is 256Gb.

I bought a MacBook Air in 2010 which died on me (liquid spill) this week. I upgraded memory and processor on purchase which I'm sure is why it was still usable although beginning to struggle. Hence I'm wondering if going for the faster processor i7 would be a future proofing measure that might add a few more years to it's life. Of course there is a limit to how much to upgrade the closer I get to iMac 27" territory.

I saw an online review showing the i7 to be marginally better and concluded unless for high power users it wasn't worth it.

Thoughts? Really interested to hear what view you have on this.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:34 AM

I wouldn't consider less than a 512 GB drive. I put a 1 TB in my 2018 Mini, but I also knew ahead of time I'd be using it for macOS with lots of large third party apps, another partition for Windows 10, and gobs of left over space for video editing.

But you are correct, the CPU and drive can't be changed later as they're soldered in. They above RAM have to purchased as what you believe you will need at the time of purchase.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 7:34 AM in response to Insaneheretical

I wouldn't consider less than a 512 GB drive. I put a 1 TB in my 2018 Mini, but I also knew ahead of time I'd be using it for macOS with lots of large third party apps, another partition for Windows 10, and gobs of left over space for video editing.

But you are correct, the CPU and drive can't be changed later as they're soldered in. They above RAM have to purchased as what you believe you will need at the time of purchase.

Jun 17, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Insaneheretical

It's quite a bit more than marginal. Click the Multi-Core button if necessary.

The i7 has a benchmark of 5622. The i5 is 4771. The 2020 Minis will rank exactly the same since the hardware hasn't changed.

Always get as much as you can afford. Especially the CPU and RAM. You'll be able to hang onto the computer much longer before it seems too slow for the latest OS and other software.

Jun 17, 2020 7:57 AM in response to Insaneheretical

What has already been stated about the minimum storage. Only the Core i7 supports hyper-threading so though you have 6 CPU cores, you really have 12 threads available for processing. You should realize that the 2018/2020 Mac mini must be completely disassembled to upgrade the RAM, and my advice would be to get the RAM you anticipate needing at purchase.

Apple's RAM pricing is not unreasonable when you sum the cost of post sales replacement RAM, your time, and the consequences of unplanned damage during the RAM upgrade process.

Jun 17, 2020 8:11 AM in response to VikingOSX

You should realize that the 2018/2020 Mac mini must be completely disassembled to upgrade the RAM, and my advice would be to get the RAM you anticipate needing at purchase.

That's what I did. I got 32 GB of RAM at the time of order. I've taken lots of computers apart, and built more than a few DOS/Windows machines. But when I saw the steps it takes just to get at the RAM in the new Minis, I thought no, that's more risk than I want to put into possibly damaging the unit to save a few hundred bucks.

i5 vs i7 mac mini 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.