Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop and documents gone in iCloud?

Hello,

After an unsuccessful upgrade on my older iMac to Catalina, I decided to wipe the drive and bring her back to High Sierra. I haven't back her up in years, to answer your first question. I purchased a new 4TB external drive and copied the files over while I was booting off of another external drive running Sierra that used to be in my MacBook. I noticed there was a 'blank' Macintosh HD on the iMac and that was the first to get deleted. Probably a mistake. As I was double checking to see if I missed anything I noticed my Desktop and Documents folder were gone. I assumed they were in iCloud Drive and all would be good. Except they weren't. It looks like they were replaced by the desktop and documents of my external drive I was booting off of. I tied to reboot into Catalina but now that doesn't work so I'm assuming deleting xtra HD image broke that. When I reinstall High Sierra on the iMac will my files reappear in iCloud?

If not, what the point of the iCloud Drive if your HD STB? Thanks for any help.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:31 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 20, 2020 3:23 PM in response to Eric Peirce

Hey there Eric Peirce,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you have erased your disk, and your Desktop and Documents appear to be missing from iCloud Drive.

You'll want to follow the steps below, to verify if they are still available at iCloud.com.

"iCloud.com lets you access your Desktop and Documents folder from your iPad or another computer browser. All of your files are easy to find, organize, and download directly from iCloud Drive. You can even drag files into the Desktop and Documents folders, and then find them later on your Mac.

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID.
  2. Go to iCloud Drive.
  3. Double-click the Desktop or Documents folder."

If you don't see them here, you will not see them when reinstalling macOS. You'll find more information linked below.

Have a good one!

desktop and documents gone in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.