Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Sender Messages

iPhone 8plus

I have enabled the feature where messages from unknown senders (I.e. NOT in my contacts) are sent to the unknown senders tab. BUT THEY NEVER ARE. I get spam messages often that always appear in my Contacts & SMS tab. Why????

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 4:15 PM

Hello Bethrg1020,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you've enabled Filter Unknown Senders for iMessages, however you're still receiving text messages from people who are not in your Contacts. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

The feature that you're referring to applies to incoming iMessages specifically. It does not filter SMS/MMS from unknown senders, which is what it sounds like you're still receiving. The "Filter iMessages from unknown senders" section in the resource below provides more information about how this feature works:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can follow the steps to block, but not filter, phone numbers or contacts instead. This would prevent you from receiving messages from the blocked number or contact. SMS/MMS is a carrier controlled feature so you may also want to check with your carrier to determine if there's additional steps you can take to manage spam messages.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Bethrg1020

Hello Bethrg1020,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you've enabled Filter Unknown Senders for iMessages, however you're still receiving text messages from people who are not in your Contacts. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

The feature that you're referring to applies to incoming iMessages specifically. It does not filter SMS/MMS from unknown senders, which is what it sounds like you're still receiving. The "Filter iMessages from unknown senders" section in the resource below provides more information about how this feature works:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can follow the steps to block, but not filter, phone numbers or contacts instead. This would prevent you from receiving messages from the blocked number or contact. SMS/MMS is a carrier controlled feature so you may also want to check with your carrier to determine if there's additional steps you can take to manage spam messages.

Take care.

Unknown Sender Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.