Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To backup 2020 MacBook, what is the required format for external drive?

To backup 2020 MacBook, what is the required format for an external SSD and/or regular hard drive?

I need to backup my new 2020 MacBook Air. I want to use the Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD for a full backup with SuperDuper. The WD drive is partitioned. I want to use one partition with Time Machine and another partition for a full backup with SuperDuper.

Time Machine gives me less than one day of backups. SuperDuper says I must erase and reformat with APFS. I haven't tried the new SSD yet.

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 12:42 PM

If the backup utility is Time Machine, then use a HDD for backup and format it using Mac OS Extended, Journaled. If the backup utility is NOT Time Machine and the backup drive is an SSD, then use APFS; if it's an HDD, then use Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

5 replies

Jun 18, 2020 12:03 PM in response to Enver Masud

That's true if the drive is going to have Catalina installed on it. That's not necessarily the case for a Time Machine backup HDD. Note that Time Machine does not work with APFS formatted HDDs. I run Catalina and have no problem formatting external HDDs using JHFS+.

If you format an external SSD APFS, then you must not use Time Machine to backup any system using Mojave or earlier.

To backup 2020 MacBook, what is the required format for external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.