Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K and True HD or DTS HD

Hi. I see the Apple TV 4K will do Dolby Atmos. But I use my receiver since it is little older for True HD or DTS HD. I used to use a Box Box going into the receiver. But they discontinued support for Boxee Box. I don't see it in Apple TV 4K specs. If I watch Netflix through Apple TV and go HDMI out into my AV receiver. Will I get True HD or DTS HD. My receiver has HDMI 1.3

Also Is there a way to hook up a Hard drive with my movies into the Apple TV?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 3:07 PM

Apple TV has a variety of sound formats it support including Atmos. You can refer to it's system specifications to get a list which includes:

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos. You can get all the system specifications in https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/

The Apple TV does not have a way to connect an external HD however you can use Home Sharing if the HD is connected to a computer (PC OR Mac). Home Sharing is explained in Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support and if you ever have a problem with it Troubleshooting Home Sharing

I use Home Sharing all the time to watch my movie library (about 2K movies) .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 3:07 PM in response to jojijung

Apple TV has a variety of sound formats it support including Atmos. You can refer to it's system specifications to get a list which includes:

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos. You can get all the system specifications in https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/

The Apple TV does not have a way to connect an external HD however you can use Home Sharing if the HD is connected to a computer (PC OR Mac). Home Sharing is explained in Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support and if you ever have a problem with it Troubleshooting Home Sharing

I use Home Sharing all the time to watch my movie library (about 2K movies) .

Jul 31, 2020 12:59 AM in response to jojijung

Apple tv does atmos using lossy codec used by streaming sites known as dolby digital plus. It does not support atmos with true hd.

you cannot connect a hdd directly to the apple tv, but you can hook up a hdd using local network, such as with routers which support the function or network attached servers and using apps like infuse.

apple tv is better for streaming content from apple tv plus and netflix. If you are looking for legal local content with true hd , nvidia shield would be a better Option.

Apple TV 4K and True HD or DTS HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.