Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Bash Profile Doesn't Transfer

Hello all,

I have just updated my macbook pro OS to Catalina. With that, there were a number of changes, including a new terminal (command line) format. I use the command line a lot and had it stylized to my fancy using a .bash_profile file. However, it seems all of these settings were largely discarded after updating my OS - mostly my text colorings and bash prompt. And I have tried re-sourcing the bash_profile to no avail.

I have tried using the terminal preferences GUI to update this, but I just can't get the same amount of control and versatility as the bash file. I would really like to have my previous settings restored.

My question is: is there a fix to this such that my original bash_profile settings can be the standard/default?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:16 PM

Are you still using bash or did you change to zsh?

If you are still using bash, the bash_profile shouldn't have changed and should still work.

If you switched to zsh, then bash_profile won't work as it is for bash, not zsh.

Similar questions

2 replies

Terminal Bash Profile Doesn't Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.