Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MACBOOK PRO Camera stopped working

Good day

The inbuilt camera on my Macbook Pro has stopped working. No application like Facetime or Skype or Photoshop is using Camera. Have checked even on security and Privacy settings that no application is checked for camera usage.

On the activity monitor, Apple Camera assistant is visible but no VDC assistant is seen.

Is the software corrupted or is there some other issue?? Have restarted MAC several times after force quitting any camera using application but still the same problem.

I have just updated my Apple Software yesterday but this problem with the camera is several days old and was encountered before the software upgrade.

Please let me know if some additional information is needed.

Thank you

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 2:54 PM

Unfortunately, you should have tested the camera before restoring your backup, just in case the problem was caused by something in your files. Nevertheless, the hardware information may well be correct. You can try to confirm by running the hardware test: How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 17, 2020 8:24 PM in response to rcdhanda

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

If possible, backup your files before proceeding.

1. Shutdown the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Reinstall a Combo Updater: macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Combo Update, macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update, macOOS 10.12.6 Combo Update, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  11. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Jun 18, 2020 12:10 AM in response to rcdhanda

rcdhanda Said:

[...]I went one by one through your steps 1-9 as advised but the problem with the camera still persists.[...]

———/

Any Time Machine Backup Created?

Prior to this occurrence of your iSight Camera, did you ever backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup? If so, restore your Mac from it. Backup your Mac prior to the restoration.

Jun 18, 2020 11:35 PM in response to TheLittles

Good day Kappy,

I did take a chance and carried out steps 10 and 11 as per your message. And after the ERAZE function was performed used the last back-up to restore from time machine that was dated early June. Still the same result - no camera detected.

I then went and checked under hardware from 'system information' and noticed when I clicked on the Camera - it says "NO VIDEO CAPTURE DEVICES WERE FOUND"

Does that imply that the camera is kaput or some virus has corrupted. Thanks guys for all your assistance - grateful for your advice.

Jun 19, 2020 10:11 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy.

I ran the hardware test as suggested and got the following message:

'THERE MAY BE AN ISSUE WITH THE CAMERA. REF CODE: NDC001.'

My Macbook is not under warranty so i guess I will wait for the lockdown restrictions to ease off and take it to an apple service centre.

I clicked on the 'get started' button after the reference code but my Mac is not able to connect to live support. Attached screenshot is the last step where the MAC was not able to connect. Thanks again for your assistance. I did learn a few things about this Macbook.

Jun 17, 2020 11:31 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you Kappy for your very prompt response. I went one by one through your steps 1-9 as advised but the problem with the camera still persists. Sorry, I am NOT tech savvy like you gentlemen and am a little worried about doing steps 10 and 11 particularly as am still able to use the Macbook except for the camera issue.

Incidentally, we are still under COVID related lockdown - Senior persons are Not allowed out of the house - and I cannot take this laptop to an Apple store should something go amiss during the re-installation of the software.

Once again, I appreciate your timely assistance but I guess I will wait a few days before trying to re-install the software as that process appears a bit more challenging. Thank you so very much and have a good day.

Jun 20, 2020 7:49 PM in response to rcdhanda

rcdhanda Said:

"[...]Just like to check if it would be worth a try to re-install an earlier version of a backup copy from the time machine from let's say say sometime last year in 2019 when the camera was certainly working?"

-------

Try it Out:

If it was working before, and then ends up working after the restore - then it's obviously a software issue, and nothing of the Camera.

Jun 21, 2020 5:35 PM in response to TheLittles

Sorry, got an error message that the back-up installation could not be completed. I tried with two earlier backup options available on the Time machine but both processes stopped mid-way with the same error message! So I had to reload the June 2020 backup and everything is working now except the Camera. Guess it must be the Camera that needs fixing!

Many thanks for your support and assistance in this matter.

MACBOOK PRO Camera stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.