Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud mail not working on any devices

Hello, I keep getting the error message “cannot connect to server” when I try to use the mail app on my iPhone XS Max, or use safari to log into ICloud mail, or my Mac Book pro using chrome to log into iCloud mail. Every single place says there is a server error. There is nothing wrong with my internet/WiFi connection- and strangely my iCloud mail account says it last updated on 06/08/20- however I was receiving all emails just fine up until an hour ago.

The Apple services page says that iCloud is fine. I don’t know what to do anymore and am freaking out as it is my main email address. I have not opened up anything suspicious and have checked and rechecked all of my settings and etc.

Please help. Thank you.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 10:06 PM

Yes, understood. However, no issues with my ISP- it’s also 1AM currently here on a weeknight. I can access anything right now at lightning fast speeds- no letter from my provider nothing of the sort. My one email account- iCloud- Completely stopped working at 10 PM tonight. It will not connect to the iCloud server on any device nor with any browser. I’ve reset everything 3-4 times. There was a similar server outage 2 weeks ago but I was not affected. I’m just wondering why I received emails up until 10PM in my iCloud account but now cannot log in to that account in any way.

Other email is fine. Other websites are fine. Streaming is fine. So, unfortunately I do believe this is Apple’s issue. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not an idiot- I understand that they have to throttle bandwidth due to higher usage during peak times. I don’t think trying to check your email at 1 AM on a Thursday morning is peak. Also, I tried using my cellular data with WiFi turned off- it didn’t work then either. All I get is a server error on APPLE’S side.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 10:06 PM in response to TheLittles

Yes, understood. However, no issues with my ISP- it’s also 1AM currently here on a weeknight. I can access anything right now at lightning fast speeds- no letter from my provider nothing of the sort. My one email account- iCloud- Completely stopped working at 10 PM tonight. It will not connect to the iCloud server on any device nor with any browser. I’ve reset everything 3-4 times. There was a similar server outage 2 weeks ago but I was not affected. I’m just wondering why I received emails up until 10PM in my iCloud account but now cannot log in to that account in any way.

Other email is fine. Other websites are fine. Streaming is fine. So, unfortunately I do believe this is Apple’s issue. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not an idiot- I understand that they have to throttle bandwidth due to higher usage during peak times. I don’t think trying to check your email at 1 AM on a Thursday morning is peak. Also, I tried using my cellular data with WiFi turned off- it didn’t work then either. All I get is a server error on APPLE’S side.

Jun 17, 2020 9:05 PM in response to Lexicon5555

Lexicon5555 Said:

"iCloud mail not working on any devices: Hello, I keep getting the error message “cannot connect to server” when I try to use the mail app on my iPhone XS Max, or use safari to log into ICloud mail, or my Mac Book pro using chrome to log into iCloud mail. Every single place says there is a server error.[...]"

-------

App Password:

Contact your eMail provider --- you may need to remove the eMail account, and request a new App password.

Jun 17, 2020 9:30 PM in response to Lexicon5555

As in Apple’s server for ICloud. Everything else works fine- watching shows currently on my Apple TV- and have tried everything including on/off, airport mode, tried on just my phone carrier’s network, I’ve tried everything. iCloud servers must be down- I deleted the mail app and reinstalled. It back dated my last update to 10 days ago when I have emails from 9:31PM eastern time here. 🤷‍♀️

Jun 17, 2020 9:46 PM in response to Lexicon5555

lexicon 550 Said:

"iCloud mail not working on any devices: Thanks- but it’s literally only iCloud mail. I cannot log into it on any browser either. I think the server is down for some people."

-------

Understood. So, if it is just Apple...

Why it May be Slow:

I got a letter in the mail from my local ISP (Internet Service Provider) stating (paraphrased) "We know that our services are vital to our customers, but please note that we are doing all they can to keep up with the high-volume of network traffic at the moment."

And that makes sense because many people are at home at the moment - working or taking classes out-of-the-house. And children are playing video games and streaming content. It may be on Apple's part, or it may not be. If you live in an urban environment, then I am sure that limited services plays a hight role in this.

In all, consider using the Internet at a time of day when it is not so busy around town (i.e. middle of the night).

iCloud mail not working on any devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.