Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 wont turn off

Cannot turn phone off using side button alone. Works fine with the volume button.

Also side button will lock the screen and wake up the screen so it isn’t broken. I rarely turn phone off but wondering if this is linked to the recent IOS update.

Anybody else having this problem?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 8:28 AM

Keeping in mind that you can also turn off your 11 going to Settings>General>Shut Down (the last option at the very bottom), your iPhone model is acting normally, as per these instructions: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

6 replies

Jun 18, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Kitty2308

Kitty2308 Said:

iPhone 11 wont turn off Cannot turn phone off using side button alone. [...]Also side button will lock the screen and wake up the screen so it isn’t broken. [...]wondering if this is linked to the recent IOS update.

———-

Reinstall to Factory Settings:

If the power button works for some operations, but not all operations, then it is the iOS and not the iPhone itself.

Go Here: Reinstall your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to Factory Settings - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Kitty2308

Kitty2308 wrote:

Cannot turn phone off using side button alone. Works fine with the volume button.........

As already stated in the support guide I posted, to turn off an 11 model, you need to:

• Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power off slider appears
  • Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off.

That's a normal behavior on that iPhone model. That's not a bug.

Regards

Giulio

Jun 18, 2020 8:44 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thanks for that.....I am aware of alternative ways to shut down the phone. The point is that a functionality has been lost and I would like to know if it is just my phone and therefore needs repair or if this is a bug. A £700 item losing a functionality isn’t really acceptable, even if there are alternative methods. And to add to the issue if you shutdown through the settings then the phone won’t turn back on unless you plug it into a charger. So I’m not looking for alternative methods but would like to know if anybody else has experienced this issue starting in the past week.

iPhone 11 wont turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.