Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-sync accidentally deleted messages on my iPhone from my iMac?

I accidentally deleted all the messages between me and my wife on my iPhone!!!!! How do I get them back again! I notice they are still on my iMac - so why when I sync does it not push them from my iMac to my iPhone. How do I get this to happen?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 2:33 AM

Ahh. I found the problem. In settings, in name, in iCloud the 'Messages' tab was in the off position. I switched it to the on position, went back to my messages and scrolling backwards they have all appeared back on my iPhone! Hurray!

12 replies

Jun 18, 2020 3:00 PM in response to richardesigner

The only way i can think is to go to your iCloud at the top of the settings page (Where your name is) Press on it, then select iCloud and where it says messages switch the switch to "off" You will then see a box that pops up and says "Disable and download messages" Press that and then once that box goes switch the iCloud switch button back on. Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi an power and when opening the iMessage app it should display a message at the bottom saying "Downloading messages from iCloud"

This is all dependant on if your messages with your Wife are still in iCloud.

Hope this helps, if you run into any problems let me know. Stay Safe, Sean.

Jun 18, 2020 3:00 PM in response to richardesigner

Just to be sure we understand each other, here’s a quick semantics point.

richardesigner wrote:

Yes. My messages are backed up to my iMac.

I worry about saying the messages are “backed up”. There is a separate instance of those messages on your iMac. They’re really not “backed up” in the sense they can be restored to the iPhone. They have a separate life on your iMac.

How do I re-sync accidentally deleted messages on my iPhone from my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.