Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can perform a software update

i wan to perform a software update, but it doesnt appear when i try. i checked to see if my macbook could do it and from what i see, it should be able to. its stuck in MacOS Sierra.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 7:37 PM

Apple has what are referred to as “updates”, and which are minor and compatible changes and fixes, and larger and more disruptive “upgrades”.

A Mac running Sierra can be upgraded to at least High Sierra, and potentially to Mojave or Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Get a backup. Two would be better. Backups are your path to recovery, should the upgrade fail, or should you need to,revert.

Check that your printer and scanner vendor has drivers available for the newer release.

If you decide to upgrade to Catalina (and if your Mac supports that), you will want to confirm all of your important apps are 64-bit, as older 32-bit apps will not work. This means that Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier will not work, for instance. You’ll need Office 2016, Office 2019, or Office 365, if you depend on Office and don’t want to switch to an alternative such as LibreOffice or Apple iWork apps. A useful tool for finding 32-bit apps—which won’t work on Catalina—is Go64.

Have backups. Have backups. Upgrades don’t fail often, but your data is important, and there’s no downgrade option available.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 7:37 PM in response to illuminatedgoddess

Apple has what are referred to as “updates”, and which are minor and compatible changes and fixes, and larger and more disruptive “upgrades”.

A Mac running Sierra can be upgraded to at least High Sierra, and potentially to Mojave or Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Get a backup. Two would be better. Backups are your path to recovery, should the upgrade fail, or should you need to,revert.

Check that your printer and scanner vendor has drivers available for the newer release.

If you decide to upgrade to Catalina (and if your Mac supports that), you will want to confirm all of your important apps are 64-bit, as older 32-bit apps will not work. This means that Microsoft Office 2011 and earlier will not work, for instance. You’ll need Office 2016, Office 2019, or Office 365, if you depend on Office and don’t want to switch to an alternative such as LibreOffice or Apple iWork apps. A useful tool for finding 32-bit apps—which won’t work on Catalina—is Go64.

Have backups. Have backups. Upgrades don’t fail often, but your data is important, and there’s no downgrade option available.

Can perform a software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.