Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FinalCutProX Camera Archive Feature Use Issues

In Mar 2019 I used FCPX on 50+ Digital8 and DV tapes to create Camera Archives (extension ".fcarch"). Today, June 2020, I try to import, but, only about 8 of those tapes are available for import (the other 46 are grayed out).

The 8 tapes that were successful have a triangle that expands to show individual clips.

At the time of creation, I made sure (or thought i did) that i could import the camera archive by actually trying it out on the first 3 tapes i processed, and it did. That's just to say i processed each of the 53 tapes exactly the same way.

I've tried to "duplicate" one of the files that presents grayed out in the FCPX Input panel (i duplicated it in a Finder window), but, even the copy file is grayed out.

I would hate to have to 're-process' the 46 tapes if there is a fix i can try. I might screw it up the same!

Maybe i'm just not understanding how to properly import?

I'm also trying to learn by my mistakes, but, i cannot unless i progress beyond this point.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 4:50 AM

Here is an idea:

In actuality, an archive is but a folder with a special name - it has the extension .fcarch (or something like that, I don't have one at hand).

So in the Finder, rename the archive by removing the extension. You may have to do it by selecting it and pressing Command-I to open the Get Info window, and removing the extension there.

I expect that then FCP X will see it as a normal folder and let you navigate to the actual media files.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 4:50 AM in response to Novice2FCPX

Here is an idea:

In actuality, an archive is but a folder with a special name - it has the extension .fcarch (or something like that, I don't have one at hand).

So in the Finder, rename the archive by removing the extension. You may have to do it by selecting it and pressing Command-I to open the Get Info window, and removing the extension there.

I expect that then FCP X will see it as a normal folder and let you navigate to the actual media files.

Jun 19, 2020 1:17 AM in response to Novice2FCPX

No idea why they are no working, but maybe you can salvage the situation without having to go back to the tapes.

In the Finder, can you select one of those archives and do control-click, Show Package Contents?

If so, you may be able to access the media files inside the archive.

If in doubt, post a screenshot of you see with Show Package Contents.

Jun 20, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1--Yes! Progress! Thank you so much!

Going into Show Package Contents revealed the clip files. However, individual clips still not viewable/playable.

I then went into Get Info on an individual clip and changed permissions from "No Access" to "Read & Write" for all (NO idea how this got set this way). (note: This changed all the clip file icons from a generic to actual frames from within the clips)

Also, "Access" allowed playback of clip in Quicktime Player 10. All looked 'healthy'.

So, now, challenge becomes to change all, at once, clip files' permission set (there are over 100 clips in the Camera Archive).

Select (Camera Archive file) >Get Info> click LOCK Icon to "open", in Sharing and Permissions panel, click on settings Gear Icon, select "Apply to Enclosed Items...". Then, Set permissions to (Me), Staff, and Everyone to "Read & Write". Now all clips "accessible".

However, opening up FCPX, selecting Import, reveals that that particular Camera Archive (--.fcarch) I just made accessible, was still grayed out.

So, Question: Is my only option (with those now accessible clips) is to re-import them?

Note, i cannot "see into" the archive from FCPX Import panel. I, however, can see the files in Finder>Show Package Contents. I then moved one of the clips to Desktop. Back into FCPX>Import, i was able to see the clip and import it!

Wow! What a journey!

Also, since the folder "DV Tapes Archive" AND all files within now have permission set for "Everyone" to Read & Write, the conclusion might be that the original Camera Archive process that made the .fcarch files is the 'problem'. Why it 'worked' for only 8 out of 53 tapes is puzzling (to me, anyway). Note: I re-wound the tape to the beginning, then started the Camera Archive process, and 'let it run' until the End of Tape. I don't recall setting any particular options (went 'default', as it were). Maybe i shouldn't have?

Anyway, any further thoughts, insights, or hints will be gratefully accepted.

Jun 22, 2020 5:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That idea was absolutely brilliant and correct!

I eliminated the extension in the Get Info window. I went back into FCPX, Import... and the new folder was NOT grayed! All the clips presented themselves after expanding the folder.

Thank You Sir!

Now to go do the same treatment to 45 folders!

Again, any idea as to why some tape-to-Camera Archiv-ings are successful and some (most?) aren't? (I just found more tapes to do).

Please be safe.

FinalCutProX Camera Archive Feature Use Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.