Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing Multiple Photo Libraries

I manage my photos using multiple library files stored on my Mac and an external drive.

• Is it possible to store these photos library files in iCloud?
  • Could I then get my iPad and iPhone to point to any of these?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 8:56 AM

It would be nice to be able to switch between libraries on an iPad.

You may want to submit a feature request to Apple. Here is a feedback form: Photos for iOS and iPadOS - Feedback - Apple

4 replies

Jun 19, 2020 7:15 AM in response to macmews

You can have one library syncing with iCloud Photos. This library will be synced across all your devices and you can see the photos on your Mac, the iPhone, the iPad.

But as Winston Churchill explained, you cannot simply put a Photos Library on iCloud Drive (or any synced volume like DropBox or Google Drive). The syncing would rapidly destroy the library. You need to use iCloud Photos to sync your photos with iCloud.

When I started to use iCloud Photos I created a new library with only my favourite photos and the photos I am currently working with. All other libraries are archived on the external volumes and backed up on other volumes. This is working rather well. The iCloud Photos Library is small enough to fit onto the device with the smaller storage and to keep the list of albums small. It is easy to work with it even on the iPad to iPhone.

Managing Multiple Photo Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.