Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External photos library to iCloud

I have 104,000 photos sitting in a Photos library on an external drive. How do I get this library into iCloud?

Mac Pro, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 2:16 AM

Only one library at a time can sync with iCloud Photos. To use the library on your external volume with iCloud, do it this way:

Watch the status bar below All Photos for the progress of the syncing or any problems. The upload can take several days without any visible progress. Just wait. For example, I just synced again a library with 50000 photos and videos, it took 10 days, even with a fast internet connection.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2022 2:16 AM in response to Emily_M_Dawson

Only one library at a time can sync with iCloud Photos. To use the library on your external volume with iCloud, do it this way:

Watch the status bar below All Photos for the progress of the syncing or any problems. The upload can take several days without any visible progress. Just wait. For example, I just synced again a library with 50000 photos and videos, it took 10 days, even with a fast internet connection.

External photos library to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.