Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage

I'm not understanding iPhone storage! Please help/advice.

I have an iPhone with 128GB of storage.

The issue is that I have 14K photos on my phone.

I do a lot of photography so that's why I have so many photos.

Recently my storage ran out.

I'm currently purchasing more space on my icloud which bought me 50 more GB.

Question -->

I don't understand the purpose of backing up to the cloud if you still can't delete your photos off your device? I keep reading that if you delete from your device it also deletes from the cloud. Then what is the purpose? Simply for more storage?

I guess my question is, is icloud just simply "more space" and not necessarily "permanent storage" ??

I've read that google photos is unlimited, BUT then again, if you delete from device it also deletes from google photos.

I just want to store my photos somewhere so that I can delete them from my device.

Cheap/Free options.

?

Thank you!!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 7:30 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

I don't understand the purpose of backing up to the cloud if you still can't delete your photos off your device? I keep reading that if you delete from your device it also deletes from the cloud. Then what is the purpose? Simply for more storage?

That's correct, it's not a back up it's synced version of your library, what ever you do in one place will happen in the other. If you want to save space on the phone, enable optimised storage, this will keep optimised versions on your phone (which take up significantly less space) and full versions in the cloud.

Settings ➔ Photos & camera ➔ Optimise iPhone(iPad/iPod) Storage

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 7:30 AM in response to Ashleybell11

Welcome to the Apple Community.

That's correct, it's not a back up it's synced version of your library, what ever you do in one place will happen in the other. If you want to save space on the phone, enable optimised storage, this will keep optimised versions on your phone (which take up significantly less space) and full versions in the cloud.

Settings ➔ Photos & camera ➔ Optimise iPhone(iPad/iPod) Storage

Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.