Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how does the app limit time work?

I set my son's iPhone SE to have an app limit for 4 hours for three games. He asked for more time after 1 hour. Why?

Is the app time limit time spent using each app or since the app was first opened or is the time limit a accumulation of all apps within that category?

The information I've found on this subject is superficial.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 10:55 AM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2020 8:38 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for your clarification, so far. I have a couple more questions.

I've done the granular time limit like you described. let's say my son has two games in the games category: If I select 4 hours for the games, will that be 4 hours for each game, or a total of 4 hours for the two of them? Also, does the timer stop when he's not playing? For example, if he's playing a game and then texts or emails or talks on the phone, etc. will the game timer continue?

Also, I set his downtime to start at 9 PM, yet last night he was still playing a game on his phone after 9. Why was this possible.

And finally, is there a way to shut down/disable/sleep/make lock apps on his phone when I want to regardless of time in? Can I freeze (or any synonym) it on demand?

Thank you.

Jun 22, 2020 7:02 AM in response to JustGlenn1

That will be a total of 4 hours for the 2 games if both are under he same time time limit.

The timer stops when he exits the game. If he takes a call, or message but is still in the game, the timer continues. If he exists the game to take the call or see the message, the timer stops will outside of the game.

2 options come to mind for downtime:

1. Its possible to allow certain apps during down time in the Always /allow section. Apps selected there will continue to be available during downtime.
  2. He was found out your screen time password or you don;t have a screen time password and downtime can be disabled.

No, not possible to lock apps sorry except through downtime. Might be a good thing to suggest to Apple at: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jun 19, 2020 11:06 AM in response to JustGlenn1

Its an accumulation of time spent on all apps in that category if all apps in the category are selected.

So if you set the time for 4 hours and he's spent 1 hour on 4 different apps then the allowed time is exhausted.

If you want to get more granular control for Apps go to App Limits, Select the category to expand it, and instread of selecting all apps under the category, tap the checkmark next to the Category name to un-select all apps and then only select the specific ones you want to set a time limit for that is different than the time limit for the entire category.

how does the app limit time work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.