Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro half split black screen at login

At login my Macbook's screen appears for its biggest part to be black, like if it has been shifted or split in two, while the remaining part of it has some color of what seems to have been left from the original log in screensaver. Once i insert the password and the login is carried out, there is no problem at all, the desktop and the screen go back to normal. I have tried to reset both the NVRAM and the SMC according to the official guidelines but nothing changed. Could you please suggest what else I could possibly try out? Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 12:54 AM

They key here is that once the login credentials are entered and you have reached the desktop then all is well. Resetting the NVRAM and SMC made no difference. I really would like you to ensure and Reset the SMC properly. It is easy to not perform the Reset SMC task properly so just wanted to make sure that you have not missed anything.

The only other option that comes to mind, other than what is mentioned above, is to reinstall the macOS by entering the Mac Recovery Mode. You will not lose any data while reinstalling the macOS as shown in this article by Apple ➔ macOS Recovery Mode

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 12:54 AM in response to fani53

They key here is that once the login credentials are entered and you have reached the desktop then all is well. Resetting the NVRAM and SMC made no difference. I really would like you to ensure and Reset the SMC properly. It is easy to not perform the Reset SMC task properly so just wanted to make sure that you have not missed anything.

The only other option that comes to mind, other than what is mentioned above, is to reinstall the macOS by entering the Mac Recovery Mode. You will not lose any data while reinstalling the macOS as shown in this article by Apple ➔ macOS Recovery Mode

Axel F.

Jun 20, 2020 2:46 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to reset once again both NVRAM and SMC after having reread carefully the instructions, but still it didn't work, nothing changed. I guess I should also try at this point to reinstall the macOS by entering the Mac Recovery Mode. If anything else comes to mind please do let me know. Thanks.

Macbook Pro half split black screen at login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.