Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks stuck on boot - spinning circle and loading bar, then shuts down?

Hi all - a friend of the family gave me their older iMac to look at. It's running Mavericks and the issue is that, once you turn it on...you get the Apple logo, the spinning icon and a loading bar. The loading bar proceeds to go across, then after a few minutes of being at the end, the whole iMac just shuts down.

I've already tried resetting the PRAM...already went into the Disk Utility and Verified the 'Base System' partition, which said it was fine.

The 'Verify' of the hard drive gave me an error something like 'Cannot do this to a Live Filesystem'

I tried doing a Repair on the disk anyway and it's still doing the same boot failure...spinning icon, loading bar goes across, then shuts down.

Safe Mode also doesn't work....started holding Shift after hitting the power button...same thing, loading bar, spinning circle, shuts down.

What else can I try? Is there a way to reinstall Mavericks, if need be, without affecting her passwords/files/programs so that those are all as they were?

Thanks for any help! :)

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 4:03 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 20, 2020 4:06 AM in response to QuickPost

But SMART is listed as 'Verified' so there are no signs of failure? This had happened from power flickers in their house due to electrical issues in their fuse panel. The computer was fine, the electricity started to flicker because of an issue, the shut off the electricity to the house and called an electrician who came and fixed the problem and when she went to use her computer again, this happened.

It was on a surge protector, so the hardware seems fine, I'm thinking it's a software issue?

Mavericks stuck on boot - spinning circle and loading bar, then shuts down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.