Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud back up for Mac

I have a question: How do I know if my mac is currently set up to where it automatically backs up to the cloud?

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 6:07 PM

Apple has iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers. They do offer the ability to sync some data to iCloud and that does have some benefits of a backup but it is not a backup. For one thing, not all data on a Mac can be synced to iCoud. For another, if you deleted something from your Mac, accidentally or otherwise and don't notice it in time (30 or 60 days in some cases) it will be lost with no ability to recover it. I would recommend that you backup to an external hard drive even if you do sync all possible data to iCloud.

The sync settings are at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. You can view synced data by using an internet browser on your computer and logging into www.icloud.com

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 6:07 PM in response to Hopilum

Apple has iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers. They do offer the ability to sync some data to iCloud and that does have some benefits of a backup but it is not a backup. For one thing, not all data on a Mac can be synced to iCoud. For another, if you deleted something from your Mac, accidentally or otherwise and don't notice it in time (30 or 60 days in some cases) it will be lost with no ability to recover it. I would recommend that you backup to an external hard drive even if you do sync all possible data to iCloud.

The sync settings are at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. You can view synced data by using an internet browser on your computer and logging into www.icloud.com

Icloud back up for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.