Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina because my disk is not formatted to APFS

I purchased a MacBook Air with Mojave, and as I was setting it up, I tried to upgrade to Catalina. I received the error that my drive is not formatted to APFS, so I cannot upgrade? I tried going into Recovery mode and converting to APFS using Disk Utility, but I don’t even get the option under Edit to “Convert to APFS.”

Is there a way I can completely reformat my computer and reinstall some version of MacOS so I can use APFS? BTW, I tried to reinstall MacOS in Recovery mode, and it only gave me the option to install Sierra, and the. Told me I couldn’t because I had a later version of MacOS (Mojave).

thanks, dan

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 8:09 AM

I resolved my issue by erasing my drive using MaxOS extended format in Disk Utility; then reinstalling MacOS (it installed Sierra).

i then downloaded High Sierra from Apple.com and updated my computer, which automatically converted my drive to APFS.

Finally, I was able to update to Catalina.

Thanks for all your help.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Daniel Jue

I resolved my issue by erasing my drive using MaxOS extended format in Disk Utility; then reinstalling MacOS (it installed Sierra).

i then downloaded High Sierra from Apple.com and updated my computer, which automatically converted my drive to APFS.

Thanks for all your help.

Jun 20, 2020 4:23 AM in response to Daniel Jue

If you want anything on the drive, back up before doing anything else.

Boot into internet recovery (Cmd-opt-R) and use Disk Utility to erase the drive completely.

Then, reinstall MacOS.

In Disk Utility, select Show all devices from the View button menu.

Select the Drive, then Erase button.

Choose GUID Partition map and APFS.

Quit Disk Utility and Reinstall macOS.

If you want to restore data, Migrate your data from the backup when Startup Assistant ask what you want to do.

Jun 20, 2020 9:48 AM in response to Daniel Jue

Apple provides non-destructive methods for start-up disk drives for APFS conversion, and hence no data (files or folders) will be lost.

side note: On the other hand, APFS formatting will erase all the files and folders stored on the external hard drive. If not backed up earlier, APFS formatting on the external drive will cause data loss. Even with the start-up drive, one may delete or lose files from the APFS formatted media.

Non-Destructive APFS Conversion

Restart the Mac into Recovery Mode.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Launch Disk utility.

Click-select your named boot volume—the default name is "Macintosh HD" —(Not the physical drive above it.)

In the Disk Utility> Edit menu> select “Convert to APFS"

Jun 20, 2020 9:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

thanks so much for the reply.

Unfortunately I am not being given the options you list. Here’s my Disk Utility page:

when I select Macintosh HD, and then select erase, I don’t get either a GUID partition or APFS option:

if I select Apple SSD SM0256G Media, I get The option for a GUID partition map under Scheme, but no APFS option under Format.

thanks, Dan

Jun 21, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Daniel Jue

Sorry. I had considered suggesting this, but figured there should be an easier way.

It really isn't that bad, though. As a test, recently, I installed Mountain Lion on an External SSD, then upgraded to El Capitan, then High Sierra, Mojave, and finally Catalina. It only took about half a day to complete all of it. That certainly is affected by your internet download speed.

Unable to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina because my disk is not formatted to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.