Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import of Photos videos into iMovie on Mac

"Photos" does not appear in "Libraries" in iMovie (10.1.14).

The recommended solution of "Go into Photos app preferences ... make sure that the box "use as system Photos library is selected ... If it is greyed out ... Photos library is already the system Photos library." Does not work for me.

Is it because I am using Catalina 10.15.5? Any help please.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 6:38 AM

Hmmmm. Other than the suggestions that I made in the link that I posted earlier I can't think of anything more. One thing that you mentioned previously is that you saw an app called Photos Duplicate Cleaner in the security preferences pane. Where did that app come from, and have you used it? Some duplicate removal software programs are inadvisable to use because they can cause corruption in the Photos library.

Try contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we can't do here. They might be able solve this.

-- Rich

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 6:38 AM in response to JohnCaves

Hmmmm. Other than the suggestions that I made in the link that I posted earlier I can't think of anything more. One thing that you mentioned previously is that you saw an app called Photos Duplicate Cleaner in the security preferences pane. Where did that app come from, and have you used it? Some duplicate removal software programs are inadvisable to use because they can cause corruption in the Photos library.

Try contacting Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we can't do here. They might be able solve this.

-- Rich

Jun 22, 2020 2:26 AM in response to JohnCaves

In fact, I noticed: Photos Duplicate Cleaner Photos.

John, have you been running Photo Duplicate Cleaner? Aggressive Duplicate Cleaners may damage the photos library, because some of them are removing the previews that are needed to access your photos and videos from the Media Browser.

Apple is warning against using this kind of duplicate cleaners: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Frequently it does not even help to try to repair the library, if it has been damaged by a spring cleaning attempt.

You could test, if iMovie will see the videos, if you create a new Photos Library with a few videos, and make this new library your System Photos Library and restart the Mac. Can iMovie see this test library?

This help page explains how to create a new library:

Create additional libraries

And this, how to repair a library:

Repair the library

If you current library is an iCloud Photos Library, I would not make this test, however. Switching to another System Photo Library will disable iCloud Photos and you would first have to ensure, that all photos and videos have been downloaded from iCloud, or you might lose some items. If you are using an iCloud Photos Library - iare you using "Optimise Storage"? Then you have to ensure, that the videos are been downloaded from iCloud in the full resolution, before yiu can access then iMovie.

Jun 21, 2020 12:41 AM in response to Rich839

Yes, Rich I did click on Automations, followed full procedure unsuccessfully.

I did follow up your discussions.apple suggestion, including getting rid of iMovie10.1.14, and reloading it. Also binned iMovie9 - all to no avail.

I did note that at some point my Photos library dates to 2017, whereas I have made many changes to my Photos recently, including reducing from around 37,000 to 18,300 now.

Any other suggestions please?

Import of Photos videos into iMovie on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.