Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected iOS update on iPad Air

Hi, this morning, while my iPad was charging I noticed it was attempting to update the iOS.

Even though I have updates set to automatic, I would normally expect some warning that it wanted to do this and for it to wait for an ok from me.

While I was watching this and deciding whether it seemed right or not, it asked me for my Apple ID to continue (with an option to use my device security code instead). I entered my 4 digit device entry code and the update process completed.

This might not have bothered me so much, but looking at the version (12.4.7) it’s the latest one for my device, came out a month ago and I’m sure it was already installed.

so, am I worrying about nothing or could a hacker have put a doctored iOS on my device?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 7:55 AM

Thank you LotusPilot. That’s reassuring. But why, when I have updates set to auto, would it wait a month (31days) after release of v12.4.7 before it activated on my device? I feel certain v12.4.7 was already installed - could a ‘re-update’ happen, as part of a recovery process if my iPad had ‘crashed’?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 7:55 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you LotusPilot. That’s reassuring. But why, when I have updates set to auto, would it wait a month (31days) after release of v12.4.7 before it activated on my device? I feel certain v12.4.7 was already installed - could a ‘re-update’ happen, as part of a recovery process if my iPad had ‘crashed’?

Jun 20, 2020 8:08 AM in response to FireJan89

Even with automatic updates turned on, they don't always happen immediately when an update is available.

When I see an update is available, even though I have automatic turned on, I download AND install the update immediately. Evidently you may have downloaded, but installed the update. So, what you've described is nothing to be concerned about.

Unexpected iOS update on iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.