Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to move 1 app purchase to my new Apple ID. How do I achieve this?

How can I get an app I’ve paid for added to a new Apple ID without paying for it twice?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 10:52 AM

You won't be able to add it to the new Apple ID. See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 10:52 AM in response to ChrisMoses9871

You won't be able to add it to the new Apple ID. See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

Jun 20, 2020 12:00 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

Yes, generally speaking... However, security is also extremely cumbersome, especially at the enterprise level, whereas Apple supposedly gears it’s products to those who require more ease of use... So there is a contradiction. There are numerous ways that could be implemented to transfer a purchase from one ID to another, but Apple chooses to ignore this because it isn’t cost-effective to manage such scenarios. In the end, it’s the users who suffer for such lack of flexibility.

I need to move 1 app purchase to my new Apple ID. How do I achieve this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.