Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection issues with iTunes and Airplay over a bridged network.

I am running an iTunes music server (iMac running High Sierra) listening to music over Airplay to an Apple TV. Provided the Apple TV and server are both on the same base station, this works fine. When I connect the iMac/server to another base station running on my network (in bridge mode), however, I can only initiate playback from iTunes on the server side not the side Remote is connected to. Remote sees my library, but that's it. Once playback commences from the server, connection is usually lost after a while and I have to re-establish it from the server side again. It's very frustrating as I don't want to move the server back again. The main base station (a VirginMedia/VM modem/router) distributes all IPs and the base station running in bridge mode is an Apple Extreme (AE). They are connected via a Powerline ethernet switch. I can see the AE base station in both Airport Utility and in the VM connected devices. I can also ping the AE from the VM base station with no losses. This could be a bridge configuration issue but I'm stumped if I can work out what. Internet connections served through the AE are fine. All advice greatly received!

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 4:07 PM

Bonjour is often the problem.

Apple is half-way to fully windows networking and bonjour is one of the sticking points that makes life hard.

Many routers do not handle bonjour well. Knowing virgin media tend to use cheap chinese brands like HuaWei they pay no attention to things like Bonjour.

Powerline adapters are also supposedly transparent.. but again they can sometimes be a problem.

One way to test at least, is to put the airport in router mode after the VirginMedia box. This will give you a double NAT error which you can ignore for the test.

This might mean needing a switch or something extra.. even another Extreme.. sorry but figuring out bonjour problems is really difficult. Once all the clients are connected via Extreme and therefore registered in the bonjour sleep proxy which is built into the apple airports and apple tv you might have more luck.. if not the issue is something different.

What model is the Apple TV? This is more from interest as I am not sure how much interaction there is.

Couple of other things.. IPv6 can be a problem.. use link-local only in the Airport.

Also use static IP whenever possible.

Domain.. is a big issue.. Airports have a pretty much fixed domain of local.

What is the domain of the computer plugged to the Virgin Media router?

You can see it on the internet tab in airport utility.

And on the computer network settings. See the search domain is set to local from Airport router. Whereas the Virgin Media box can be set to something else.

DNS is another one.. all clients should be set to use same first DNS local device.. currently your Virgin Media server.. but I think it will all work better with the Airport as main router,, doing DHCP and using itself as first DNS.

BTW.. term VM is difficult.. usually stands for virtual machine in computer/network world. Also base station is a very Apple orientated nomenclature.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 4:07 PM in response to David Miller7

Bonjour is often the problem.

Apple is half-way to fully windows networking and bonjour is one of the sticking points that makes life hard.

Many routers do not handle bonjour well. Knowing virgin media tend to use cheap chinese brands like HuaWei they pay no attention to things like Bonjour.

Powerline adapters are also supposedly transparent.. but again they can sometimes be a problem.

One way to test at least, is to put the airport in router mode after the VirginMedia box. This will give you a double NAT error which you can ignore for the test.

This might mean needing a switch or something extra.. even another Extreme.. sorry but figuring out bonjour problems is really difficult. Once all the clients are connected via Extreme and therefore registered in the bonjour sleep proxy which is built into the apple airports and apple tv you might have more luck.. if not the issue is something different.

What model is the Apple TV? This is more from interest as I am not sure how much interaction there is.

Couple of other things.. IPv6 can be a problem.. use link-local only in the Airport.

Also use static IP whenever possible.

Domain.. is a big issue.. Airports have a pretty much fixed domain of local.

What is the domain of the computer plugged to the Virgin Media router?

You can see it on the internet tab in airport utility.

And on the computer network settings. See the search domain is set to local from Airport router. Whereas the Virgin Media box can be set to something else.

DNS is another one.. all clients should be set to use same first DNS local device.. currently your Virgin Media server.. but I think it will all work better with the Airport as main router,, doing DHCP and using itself as first DNS.

BTW.. term VM is difficult.. usually stands for virtual machine in computer/network world. Also base station is a very Apple orientated nomenclature.

Jun 21, 2020 12:27 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the advice and tips. I have an Ethernet switch so after looking at some of the suggestions you made, I might try connecting the server to the Virgin hub directly via the power line adapter, bypassing the Extreme altogether. I also have another (older) Apple Extreme stored away somewhere, and I can put the Virgin hub into modem only mode and connect the Extremes from there. If that doesn’t fix it, nothing will! I have an Apple TV 3 connected to the Virgin hub. I’ll keep you posted (normally stands for posting letters or standing guard ;-)

Jun 24, 2020 9:22 AM in response to David Miller7

I tried the various settings issues suggested but ultimately solved the problem by using an ethernet switch to bypass the Airport Extreme altogether and connecting the music server (iMac) directly to the Virgin Media hub via ethernet. Shouldn't be necessary but hey ho! I do have another Airport Extreme, but gave up trying to get it to work with the Media hub in modem mode.

Connection issues with iTunes and Airplay over a bridged network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.