Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not working

I have an iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air and iMac. Airplay works fine on all of the devices except iMac. It worked fine for years but recently stopped working. I have two stereo systems and it works fine on one of the systems with Airport Express, but not the other with built in networking. (Yamaha RX-V58). If I reboot my iMac, it will work until I stop Music. Once stop a song, it will not play another song. I have to reboot the iMac again.

I have rebooted my network many times, tried wireless on the iMac and stereo, but no luck. What has me confussed is why it would work on everything except my iMac and the Yamaha receiver. The Yamaha receiver works with every device except the iMac. The iMac works with the Apple TV and the other stereo.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, I reinstalled Big Sur on my iMac. I've run out of ideas.

Posted on May 15, 2021 7:19 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 16, 2021 12:43 PM in response to tjohnson

tjohnson,

Thank you for the update.

Since you have already reinstalled the macOS, you will need to test your login items, to see whether software in your user account is causing the problem. To do this, you can create a new user in System Preferences > Users & Groups and creating a new admin user. Restart the iMac again and log in as the new user. More detailed instructions are in the link below. You also want to unplug all nonessential devices while performing this test.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you're having the same issue with a different user, we'd recommend contacting the receiver manufacturer. Let them know which iMac and macOS you're using, and that you're trying to AirPlay directly to the receiver, so they can check it out.

When looking at the AirPlay system requirements article, and following the link for "Speakers and receivers with the label "Works with Apple AirPlay" > Receivers > "Yamaha RX-V Series" link > The Yamaha page does't list your "Yamaha RX-V58" receiver: Yamaha AV Receivers

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

May 16, 2021 9:43 AM in response to tjohnson

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities  tjohnson,

Thank you for contacting us regarding AirPlay on your iMac. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist in getting this resolved for you.  Although we are not experts in troubleshooting the stereo systems, we would suggest it may be a compatibility issue with BigSur. We would recommend updating the drivers for the Yamaha. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please let us know so we can assist further.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Airplay not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.