Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air: Photos Can't Find System Photo Library

After updating my MacBook Air, I noticed that the Photos App can't find system photo library.

The following message always appears: Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

Does anyone know what the issue is and how to fix it? Note that I can still see all photos (2009 to date) on my iPhone.

Thank you,

Mario

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 4:31 PM

Thank you.

I have created the new Library folder and entered the Photos iCloud preference.

The following message appears: "iCloud features for photos are only available in the System Photo Library".

There seems to be missing action to complete the set up for the system to start the download. Any suggestion?

9 replies

Jun 20, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Mario_mac2020

What system and Photos versions are you running?

What did you update? The system? If so from what system and version to what?

How did you do the updating?

Launch Photos with the Option key held down and see if there are a library displayed int the Open Library window. If there is select it and open. If' it is the library you need make it the System Photo Library,

Jun 20, 2020 2:18 PM in response to Old Toad

I updated the Operational System from the previous version to "macOS Catalina" v.10.15.5. The update was done as usual, through the software update (Mac).

I launch Photos with the Option key held down, but no library is displayed in the "Open Library Window".

Is there a way to simple restore the photos from iCloud? I can see all photos on my phone and I assume everything is properly stored on iCloud.

Jun 20, 2020 2:49 PM in response to Mario_mac2020

What was the previous version? Was it some version of Catalina or Mojave?

Do you have Time Machine enabled? If you do you can go into TM, go to the Pictures folder, go back in time to the latest backup that has the library, select the library and restore.

OR

Are you able to go to iCloud.com, sign in and see your Photos library there?

If you can you can create a new Photos library on your new Mac, designate it the System Photo Library, enable iCloud Library and let the photos download from the iCloud library to the new library on your Mac. The first method with Time Machine will be quicker.

Jun 20, 2020 3:48 PM in response to Mario_mac2020

Yes, I can see my Photos library in iCould.com.

1 - How do I create the new Photos library on my Mac and designate it the System Photo Library? Once create how do I enable iCloud library to download the photos?

2 - Just to confirm, by doing this, I won't erase any photos stored on iCloud, correct?

1 - launch Photos with the Option key held down and select the Create New…```ssd button. Then go to Photos' iCloud preference (⌘+,). That's a comma.

2 - No. That will just download the photos from iCloud into your local library. Be sure you have enough free space to house the full sized library.

MacBook Air: Photos Can't Find System Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.